587,758 active members*
3,152 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mill Drill Spindle Bearings

Mill Drill Spindle Bearings

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to replace the spindle bearings in my Enco 15-7/8 swing round column mill drill. They are taper roller bearing #'s 30206 & 30207.

What brand would you suggest?

And, do taper roller bearings come in different grades?? With some being better suited for "machine" spindles.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi,
    Is there a problem with the original bearings? I was thinking of using 30206 & 30207 bearings on a drill spindle I was modifying. Is the 30206 & 30207 bearings too light a duty bearings for the Mill/Drill application?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

The main problem I had with the bearings was contamination and Chi-Com made bearings.

There are two slots cut into the sides of the quill of my machine. My best guess is that the slots are for knocking out a morse taper. I believe that previously Enco offer a drill press with this same quill, but with a morse taper.

Anyhow, I press fit an aluminum sleeve into the quill to cover the slots and keep out the contaminants and went with Timken bearings. Now 3K rpm's is obtainable. BTW, the Timken bearings were made in Poland. What is still made in the USA anymore?? The bearings are heads and tails over the stock Chinese.

I see no problem in using the same bearings in a drill press. I was running a 1/2" hog mill in aluminum at 2800 rpm's, .400" depth of cut, full diameter of end mill, and 12 inches per minute feed, with the new bearings. I find that to be accepteble for a round column Chi-Com made CNC conversion.

The stock bearings got me 2000 rpm's and about 8 inches per minute.

I hope to machine a cooland manifold/bearing cooler soon.

Tim

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the info. One of the things I noticed about Enco is that the Chinese made stuff is not cleaned before assembly. I bought a drill and as soon as I turned it on I noticed metal grinds dropping out of the spindle area. I disassembled the head and found it was loaded with the chips from when it was manufactured. You would think they could at least try to get the crud out before assembly. Next I purchased a 9x42 mill. This time I disassembled the head and removed the table before I ran the machine for the first time. As before the machine was full of machining chips. Once I cleaned it out and reassembled things, it worked well. What bearings did you go with? Were they the same size and type as the originals? It sounds like I may go with the same bearings you are using now.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Unless you are prepared to do some serious modifications I think it is not possible to go with a different type or size bearing. The main issue is how much are you prepared to spend on a better quality bearing of the same size and type. A name brand with the same specified precision as the original (if it has one) is probably a sensible economic starting point, or one notch up on the precision.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by m1_machine View Post
    Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the info. One of the things I noticed about Enco is that the Chinese made stuff is not cleaned before assembly. I bought a drill and as soon as I turned it on I noticed metal grinds dropping out of the spindle area. I disassembled the head and found it was loaded with the chips from when it was manufactured. You would think they could at least try to get the crud out before assembly. Next I purchased a 9x42 mill. This time I disassembled the head and removed the table before I ran the machine for the first time. As before the machine was full of machining chips. Once I cleaned it out and reassembled things, it worked well. What bearings did you go with? Were they the same size and type as the originals? It sounds like I may go with the same bearings you are using now.
    Thanks,
    Steve