587,201 active members*
2,843 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > milling out profile using MILL-CAD function

milling out profile using MILL-CAD function

O.k. i have this disk that has some complex profiles that need to be completely cut out. I use the MILL-CAD function and have no troubles here except picking an exact start point. (I have no CAM so thats not an option) What i am trying to do is first drill through the 1" plate with a 7/8" drill then plunge at this location with a 3/4 endmill then do my cut out. My issue is when i choose a line in the MILL-CAD set up does it pierce at the exact location i put the cursor on, or at the begining of that line segment or arc? I was gonna draw a line coming off the profile to the inside for my drill point, but i think this will confuse the control because there will be an intersection at the end of this line and the profile line? I've been playing around on aluminum and don't quite feel comfortable moving into the final steel piece.

I also noticed when using this function, sometimes the whole profile programs, other times just part of it depending on where i start my pierce point, and which direction i go. I have fastCAM for a plasma table (i believe this is fastCAM) and usually when this happens you have double lines or a gap, but this drawing is 100% clean. Any ideas?

The DXF import function will grab the endpoint of the entity as described in the DXF file.

You can bring the contour into your program, use cut/paste to re-order the geometry more to your liking.

You may want to add an entry and exit line to the contour, then edit the Mill Start and Mill End screens accordingly.

Once you know where the lines are, you can simply add a Drill sequence at the correct point.

can i add a line in the dxf file on CAD? or is it better to do a MILL-LINE before the contour? keep in mind its a closed contour and im thinking at the intersection of the profile and start line to it, the control wont know which direction to head? Also its basically made up of all curves so to pick a point on the curve for the drill and mill to start exactly will be kinda tough, unless i program the profile first then check the start point after the pages
    are generated, or if like you say it grabs and endpoint i can get these coordinates from CAD

Thanks for the help