587,189 active members*
2,676 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question milling a sphere

is it possible? how in fewest setups?

just thought these up. hypothetical question (don't actually need to do it. just wondering.)

yes,its possible,ive done it just two setups,cut one half of it,than flip it over and hold it in a nest ,either with vacum in th nest or clue it in temporay,depending on the material,mine was aluminum so i use super clue than acetone to get it out after wards,double sided tape works on most,but tough on a sphere,vacum is best

Quote Originally Posted by bookwurm99 View Post
    is it possible? how in fewest setups?

just thought these up. hypothetical question (don't actually need to do it. just wondering.)
    Don't give up do you

As SORCHEROR says in two setups. But I will wait and see if a more detailed explanation is forthcoming as to the actual machining.

SORCHEROR was this done using CAM?

Don't give up do you
    Is this a test??? Did I miss something??? Am I being watched?? :bat:

I've done this many ways just for "giggles".

1) 5-axis: No brainer. One set up. Milled a sphere on a stem. Sort of like a golf ball on a tee. M0, snap off, flip over in vise (with soft jaws), clamp on diameter and finish sphere. Milled from round bar stock, CAD programmed, using only one tool (3/4 ball mill). Sphere was about the size of a grapefruit or a giant orange.

2) VMC: Playing around with 3D programming using a slot mill (Disc mill) with button inserts. Similar part shaping as the 5-axis (ball on a tee). Flipped over and machined rest of it in a vise.

3) VMC w/4th axis: This time playing around with While/Do Loops. Using the rotary as a spinner and test cutting some new "Lollypop" styled cutters from a major endmill manufacturer. Wasn't a true sphere. More like a ball with spherical grooves going around it like fluting. Which led to the next "experiment"....

4) HMC: ... for the use of the table of course. This time, the part was for a customer. A solid 14" ball with engraving all around it.... 12 of them. Sure wish I had that 5-axis... but its a different shop now. This time used a Bull nosed cutter (3" indexable). Played with 3D comp and an angle head on this one.

5) Lathe/Mill: Specifically, an Integrex. One op, hand off, two tools. This literally was a "Golf Ball"... dimples and all.

Mostly done on CAM, some macros, some hand typing, conversational... depended on the year, project and machine....

:cheers:
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

yes,i used cam to program it,most of us dont have 5 axis or 4th axis machines
    so we are forced to be creative,but this was simple to do in two setups,i wouldnt want to do alot of them this way,i roughed first with a flat end mill and finished it with a ball for a smoothe finish

Quote Originally Posted by psychomill View Post
    Is this a test??? Did I miss something??? Am I being watched?? :bat:
    :
    bookwurm had posted several spherey queries to which I had posted replies, this was the latest

thanks everyone. that answers my questions really well. i am in a college class and we have been talking about workholding and other machining topics. i have asked other questions that came up in class in a different forum on this site. i'll have to share these answers with my class.

btw my teacher calls me 'neutron' because in my first class with him i got 100 (after the curve which i set )on every single test we had that semester.

[QUOTE=bookwurm99;281746]...btw my teacher calls me 'neutron'..../QUOTE]

I am not sure I would treat that as a compliment .....being told I do not have an electric personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I am not sure I would treat that as a compliment .....being told I do not have an electric personality.

he nicknamed me after jimmy neutron boy GENIUS and it was just shortened to neutron

Quote Originally Posted by bookwurm99 View Post
    he nicknamed me after jimmy neutron boy GENIUS and it was just shortened to neutron
    When the full context is known it makes sense, I think. Who the h**** was Jimmy Neutron?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Who the h**** was Jimmy Neutron?
    http://www.nick.com/all_nick/movies/jimmy_neutron/

i haven't seen it. just know about it from commercials and i think it was a movie.

No kids - huh Geof
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    No kids - huh Geof
    Too poor to own a TV.

It's very easy to make a sphere on a manual mill...