588,209 active members*
4,342 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini Mill and chip auger

I was told when we bought our Mini Mill last year that the chip auger was not necessary. "Most people don't buy them because the machine doesn't make that many chips." That's what the manager for the local HFO told me.

Yeah right!!! Some times I have to dump the ship bucket 2 times a day!!! And we only run 8 hours a day!!!

My 2 cents: If you are buying a Mini Mill, and plan on using it for production, get the auger.

chip auger usless

We bought a Mini Mill with a chip auger and its usless. Talk about a lack of thought on its design. We machine CPM M4 and the chips are small. The chips find every seam and bunch up and then build up as the day goes on. The machine is a real pain to clean out. You can tell this was an after thought when they installed it.

John

I don't have one on my Mini Mill. And I don't really miss it. I cut a lot of stainless. Empty the machine every night. Then again...I don't have to run it!

cleaning the chips off your machine should be done each part

don't use compressed air as it will blow chips into areas of the machine you don't want chips

i run 3 full size machines with no chip removal system
    the amount of chips i pull out each day must be around 1500 pounds depending on the material being cut

one tip for the mini mills

buy a shop vac, works great on those small chips

the only thing you have to do is put a small piece of sheet metal where the chips enter the vac to deflect the chips down and keep the chips from wearing on the filter and plastic parts

There are two complete Mini Mill chip auger setups on Ebay right now. Dude has the reserve at $400 ea. which is cheap.

I dont have one on mine and dont miss it but i dont run it but my guys dont complaine
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.