588,500 active members*
5,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

minimizing chatter

hey guys, i need some tips on minimizing the chatter on a machined surface. i am using a r-25 clone and trying to countersink a hole. the countersink part has a lot of chatter on the surface. any tips?

For chatter on something like this, try changing feeds and speeds. I'd first try more feed, less speed. Once chatter begins on a part its hard to stop it.

It would help if you could tell us which material and what tool. For example, if you're using a counterbore, I'd look to see if the pilot hole is too large. If the material is AL, it most deffinitely needs hi feed and low speed on something like this.

Karl

By chatter of the countersink, do you mean that the c'sink is not round.
    You can try to adjust speed and feed of the c'sink to reduce the chatter. The other thing to try is a different type of c'sink, I am assuming that you are using a 3-flute c'sink right now. I have had good luck with an "O" flute countersink giving a good round finish. (search McMaster.com for countersink)

If working in aluminum do the countersink first then the hole. This way the center of the countersink is just rubbing and stabilizes the cutter. If the countersink will not penetrate, drill the smallest hole possible that will allow it to enter.

Lock the table (both X & Y) direction before cutting. THis is critical, especially if you do NOT have preloaded ball screw drive. Clearance/movement potential in the part allows chatter.

Put a bit of drag on the spindle with the lock. This prevents possible spindle chatter from spindle movement.

Suggest drilling reaming hole with locked table, then follow with countersink. Don't leave and come back unless you have real accurate screw drive - almost impossible to perfectly recenter if you move.

If the c'sink is coaxial with the hole you're trying to c'sink, you have a hard part of the battle won.... namely, even cutter loading when you put c'sink into the hole.

Ditto re: speeds and feeds above.

Good stuff so far - but what about the cutter? Was it made in 'AC' (another country) out of recycled pallet banding? Is it three flute? Is it sharp? Is it TOO sharp? Too many unknowns here to really even speculate.

90% of the time when chatter is present, reducing the speed is the most beneficial change you can make.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

060124-1221 EST USA

Runner4404spd:

I like Geof's method. Use a starter drill with the angle you want for your countersink. Starter drills are very rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    Good stuff so far - but what about the cutter? Was it made in 'AC' (another country) out of recycled pallet banding? Scott
    I can answer this question: No. If it was it would have turned into a blob of squished distorted metal with no cutting edge; it would not chatter.

Yeah - good point.

But it could squeal like a stuck pig!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

ok, guys heres what i'm using. its an aluminum block with and i'm trying to countersink with a carbide cutter and its a 6 flute. now, my machine speeds aren't infinitely adjustable, i have belts. i am planning on going to a variable speed drive but i haven't gotten there yet.

thanks for the help so far

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd
    ... i'm trying to countersink with a carbide cutter and its a 6 flute...Jerry
    My approach of trying to do without any hole will probably not work; The multi flute countersinks I have used have a flat end so they will not enter without a pilot hole. Use a pilot hole about the diameter, or very slightly smaller than the flat on the end in this case.

Carboloy Minimaster

Use it for spot drilling, countersinking, and chamfering. You can run it much harder than a spot drill and it will not chatter.

This is going to sound real silly in this high tech CNC world, but put a small bit of cloth over the hole before you countersink it, no I’m not away with the fairies it dose help :banana: . Run the countersink a fairly slow speed. It is also good when you have large imperfectly sharpened drills which wonder and chatter when you are starting do drill with them.
    As RJSheets said the 0 flute countersinks work well, but I find they struggle on deeper countersinking.
    Personally I find one flute countersinks the best for general use.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner4404spd
    ok, guys heres what i'm using. its an aluminum block with and i'm trying to countersink with a carbide cutter and its a 6 flute. now, my machine speeds aren't infinitely adjustable, i have belts. i am planning on going to a variable speed drive but i haven't gotten there yet.

thanks for the help so far

Jerry
    Any flex in the spindle, holder or shank of these multi-flute CSK's will cause them to climb around the hole without cutting on center. Even the part shifting or ringing will contribute to this condition. I'd likely try Geof's suggestion to keep the hole undersize. This may help this type of cutter more than anything else.

Why use carbide on aluminum? I don't think it will pay off much. A single flute is good enough for most operations with a lot less troubles on loose setups that are hard to rectify.

I have made extended tool holders for 1/4" shank multi-flute CSK's with decent results. As long as the holder supports the shank to the cutting head. Sometimes it is just not worth fighting if there are other options.

DC