587,227 active members*
3,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Monster Router - Progress, albiet slow...

Monster Router - Progress, albiet slow...

So work, life, vacation, Burning Man, etc, have all really eaten up a LOT of time for me, and I haven't been able to spend TOO much energy on my project. Unfortunately.

Than means I have many hundreds of pounds and thousands of dollars worth of monstrous THK linear components sitting in boxes, and a pile of steel.

HOWEVER, I got some work done this past weekend. The frame is all square and level, and ready to get brackets mounted to it so I can start the long process of transfer punching all the rails and drilling a zillion holes.

The steel also got a good wire brushing and a nice coat of oxide red primer.

Planning on doing some work this weekend too.

Here's the pics, along with my reluctant assistant, for scale (She's not big, but she's got muscle!) Sorry, I took them with my Treo, and didn't color correct any of them.

Actually, most of this stuff is a REAL pain in the neck to move with one person. This is what's been slowing me down a LOT.

Alright fellas, wish me luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo_081207_001.jpg   Photo_081207_002.jpg   Photo_081207_003.jpg   Photo_081207_004.jpg  

Photo_081207_005.jpg  

Rock N roll man, rock n roll.

Oh to have the space to do something like that.

P.s my missus has got bigger chest muscles than your missus

LOL LOL

Quote Originally Posted by picbits View Post
    but his router is likely larger than yours.....

Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras View Post
    but his router is likely larger than yours.....

Of that I have absolutely no doubt

On a more serious note - thats going to be a fantastic monster of a router when its finished.

Lots of little M8 tapped holes to drill...

Quote Originally Posted by picbits View Post
    Oh to have the space to do something like that.

Believe it or not, that whole 600 square foot shop is only $300 a month. (this is in NYC mind you...) It's got 3 phase power too, though it's got pretty low ceilings - low enough that when I completely Z-up, the axis would hit the ceiling and still have another foot to go beyond that. My plan is to very carefully place about a hundred or so limit switches to prevent that from happening, since a 1 KW servo would probably mean at least a few things would break.

I don't plan on being there forever anyway. The shop is way small, ventilation sucks, there are no windows, and it's probably going to be cold as hell this winter. That said, I don't think that turning a car-sized block of foam in to dust would be much fun in there.

P.s my missus has got a black belt in karate, rides a motorcycle, knows how to and has used an AK-47 (no joke) builds Nixie clocks, plays in an all-female 14 piece accordion orchestra, takes me traveling, picks up the tab for dinner half of the time, cooks like nobody's business and takes pretty damn good care of me over-all. She can have whatever size muscles she wants

$300 PCM for 600 sq/ft is a rather good price

Round here you're looking at around $10/sqft per year plus any business rates that may be due. Our family has an industrial estate in London and are looking at renting out storage space for around $36/sqft

Yep - real industrial spaces are anywhere from $10-$13 SqFt/Yr for raw industrial spaces in crappy neighborhoods like next to the sewage treatment facilities or in the city-leased Brooklyn Navy Yard. The crazy part is that a place to LIVE (even in a not-so-good area) runs you about $26 SqFt/Yr unless you want to live in a complete hell-hole. Thankfully, the stupid real-estate market here is getting a nasty reality check, and is about to completely explode then collapse on itself in a giant heap of bankrupt luxury condominium developers. In my home town, it's already happened. They're taking million dollar condo units and turning them in to state subsidized low income housing projects. A penthouse suite with a view to fight pit-bulls, beat your girlfriend, smoke crack, and collect food stamps? We got 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by ewest View Post
    A penthouse suite with a view to fight pit-bulls, beat your girlfriend, smoke crack, and collect food stamps? We got 'em!
    Cool. I'm in, where is it? Um, is it OK if I don't smoke crack though?

This is a very ambitious project indeed. Mine is daunting and is much more conservative.

Barry Young