588,053 active members*
4,067 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > more 4 axis issues

more 4 axis issues

I'm trying to do some 4 axis programming and the feed rate output is "inverse". That would be OK but it's not putting the feed rate on each line as required and frankly I'm a little uncomfortable using inverse feed. I've clicked the unit/minute button on the control definition...no change in output.

Now I'm thinking I need to change something in the post. Any thoughts?

What post processor? Rotary tool path or surfacing?

5 axis curve operation with a 4 axis output.
    Is that what you're asking?

The switch for inverse time is in the post and I'm not good enough to do someone else's post i have made a copy of mine and hacked around in it to try and learn but ALWAYS hack on a copy not the original

as a sidebar my machine will run with just a feedrate out put at the beginning of the operation not a feedrate on evey line..depends on the control
    What machine?

With inch per minute my machine doesn't require a feedrate on every line but with inverse feed it does. Another thing that's weird is that it is outputing a G94 (inch per minute) at the top of the program.

I've looked at the post and have found a number of obscure references to feed rate selection but from what I can tell, it's set up to output inch per minute

The machine is a Cincinatti VMC using A2100 control.

Thanks for your suggestions and if anthing else comes to mind I'd appreciate hearing it because I've pretty much hit a wall.

try over at emastercam.com I'm sure someone over there will know

Those guys are sharp but they've stopped talking to me. Must be something I said.

Send me the mmd,control and post and I will look at it for you.
    [email protected]
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

You cant just change the feed output of the post willie nillie. The point of changing it, is to change it to something your machine needs. Does your machine do rotary motion using Inverse Time Feedrate Coding? If that's what it expects, that's what you need to output.

I think someone else asked, but I didn't see the answer... What post are you using (is that post based on the standard MPFan)? What version of Mastercam?

In some of the older posts Inverse time may not be working right.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

I don't think I'm changing anything willie nillie I'm just trying to get something that works. The machine control will accept inverse time, degree per minute or unit per minute depending on what modal G code is provided.

I can't get mastecam to output anything other than inverse and it's failing to provide a feed rate for every line of code which causes the machine contol to choke.

It's Mastercam X2. You bring up an interesting point about an old post. I acquired it from my reseller back when we were using V9 and I've used the update chook for version X and then version X2. Maybe something got screwed up along the way.

If your just doing XYZA moves, try using the standard "Default" machine (MPFan) and change the NC code Header and Footer for your machine format. This way your just using the "pure" rotary code from a new post.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More

That's a good idea. I can try that.

My concern is that there are pretty substantial differences between the required 2100 code and the MPFan output. Either way I'm going to have to play around with the post beyond my meager abilities.

You just take your A2100 program and Cut out the Rotary code. Then paste in the Fanuc Rotary code. Most of the machine/control specific codes are going to be in the start-up, & toolchange sequences.

Good Luck,

Mike Mattera