587,714 active members*
4,859 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post Mori-Seiki way oil flood gate

OK,
    I own a 1986 Mori Seiki MV35/35. This has been one of the best machines for us and is in fantastic condition. It has full chip enclosure and loaded with options. It still holds tight tolerances and mills circles around our Haas, which is ten years newer. However....... This machine gulps way oil ten times faster than our Haas, Matsuura, Daewoo and Bridgeport, combined! Ok, just kidding!
    I've owned and ran a lot of machines over the years and this one seems very thirsty. I have to keep the tramp oil skimmer on constantly or there will be a 1/4" of oil in the coolant tank by days end. It has full box way construction (so does the matsuura) so I'm willing to say it should use more. The tank for the way oil is not the clear plastic type but a full 2 liter metal tank with a sight glass. It goes though a full tank in three days. Doesn't that seem alittle steep? I cant find anything in the manuals about how much it requires.

My question is..... If you have a heavier machining center like this, how much does yours go through?

Do you use Vactra #2 or a heavier way oil?

This is a Fanuc controlled machine, is there a parameter for the pump timing?

Anyway, just looking for some feedback, any adjustment I end up making will be minor. But if I reduced the flow by just 1/8, it would save me close to 3 gallons of oil a month.

we have 2 mv40's that is roughly the same age and they don t seem to consume much oil no more than a matsurra would , our enshu was pigging out on oil ,turned out there was a crack in the oil line , the spindle oil comes on for 12 seconds at a time not sure about the way lube , probably would be the same

Thanks dertsap. Pressure gauge on tank (when on), builds up quickly and does not taper off, which I believe to be good. I was just all over this machine doing it's PM and didn't find any leaking or disconected lines, just lots of oil on the ways. Will check over just to make sure. Thanks again for the input! I'm swaying towards turning it down.