586,036 active members*
3,576 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mori SL1 Retrofit Advice and Help

Ok so I'm thinking about retrofitting a Mori SL1, very old one, but in perfect condition. It has the Yasnac 2000B Controller. I don't have the machine and I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'm trying to gauge the project.

I'm looking for a fully functional CNC lathe. I've built them from scratch before, but I'm looking to retrofit this one so it works as it should, tool changer and all.

1. I guess question one should be do they make a modern controller that I can just replace what's in there and be up and running?
    2. If not what do I need to control? Tool Changer, Coolant, Limit Switches, Servos with encoders, Spindle with Encoder? What else?

I've read some other threads where they say to use a controller such as Centroid All in 1 DC servo CNC Control Kit | eBay or use a Galil board and a PLC. I actually know how to program a PLC, but have no idea what it would be needed for in a CNC machine.

Any help would be appreciated. I think I would like to use Mach 3 or 4 to control it if the modern controllers don't come with their own software and interface as I'm familiar with Mach.

Re: Mori SL1 Retrofit Advice and Help

Whatever you decide, dump the drive units and motors, especially the spindle drive. Parts are NLA for those! No drop in control I know of. Those old things are only worth scrap price, so don't pay much. Used equipment at auctions have been selling for shocking low prices lately.

Sent from my A3-A20FHD using Tapatalk

underthetire, thanks.

So I'm getting it in running condition for $1500, with new paint. I have to drive about 350 miles to pick it up as it will fit on a tilt bed trailer. I'm told by others i can use machinery skates to move it into my garage with a winch.

I've decided to do the SL1 with retrofit. Not sure which direction to go. CNCMakers has a complete retrofit kit for $4700 delivered, but uses their built in cnc controller. I'm wary about using no name cnc software that probably has no tech support what so ever. The other route is source the components myself and save a little money and use Mach 3 which I use everyday. I'm leaning toward the latter as i'd be in complete control of the components and wouldn't need tech support for the project overall, but only individual pieces if I needed it.

What do you think?

Consider LinuxCNC also.
    7xCNC.com - CNC info for the minilathe (7x10, 7x12, 7x14, 7x16)

I'm pretty computer savvy, but never worked with Linux. Am I going to have trouble with that part alone?