587,853 active members*
3,491 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Most expensive CAM program

Just a curious question. I think its nutzo how much some cam systems are. What is the most expensive cam program you know of and how much?

i'm probably wrong but catia is the most pricey cadcad software that I'm aware of
    a previous neighbour was a salesman for catia and i thing he said the 5 axis package started at 85,000
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    i'm probably wrong but catia is the most pricey cadcad software that I'm aware of
    a previous neighbour was a salesman for catia and i thing he said the 5 axis package started at 85,000
    Holy hell! Do you get a free machine when you purchase software?

they kick in a hass and a free lunch
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by mc-motorsports View Post
    Holy hell!....
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms?

harley4ever; What do you mean by most expensive?

There is a CAM system starting with the letter 'M' at a price around $15,000 and one starting with the letter 'O' at around half this.

Now consider that I may have a project that can be completed using the 'O' software in X hours but if I chose to use the 'M' software it would take only X/3 hours.

Surely in this case the cheapest CAM software is really the most expensive.

I look at software as a tool, just like a cutting tool; the lowest initial cost may not be the 'cheapest' because it does not give the same return on investment as an alternative which has a higher initial cost.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I was just curious as to how much some of the most expensive initial cost were.

I think you can get a 3-axis seat of catia for around $40k, a guy here has one at home. At least once you pay that you are set.....for a year......then you have to pay upwards of $5k in maintenance fees (every year). Even if you don't want to upgrade, it stops working if you dont pay. BS if you ask me!

Oh, BTW if you want 2 seats they will sell them to you for $80k.
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Smile The Addon's

I think it's not how much it costs, but how much of it do you need.

I think MasterCam starts out at about $8k, but it's all the add-on's that bring the cost up, like most software.

I think every option like
    Mill levels are $4K +,
    Solids $2-$5k
    Lathes $4k
    Multi-Axis $4-$5k
    each Translator $2-$4k

It all depends on what you need to get the job done and how many. It all adds up, like one of the previous posts, it's Return on Investment and it's a tool to get the job done.

The last shop I worked at bought ESPRIT CAM, and rumor had it that they had $80k+ into it, but it was one of the only tools on the market for there 13-axis multi-turret dual spindle swiss machine, per the salesman.

Mike in MN
    http://www.cncbasics.com
    http://www.cncbasicsforum.com
    www.cncbasics.com

ProE can be pretty expensive, simply because you have to have the Cad Modelier in order to use the Cad. But I dont know exact prices.

But "Mots Expensive" I would probably lean towards Catia also. Same thing. You have to have the Cad to get the Cam

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    ProE can be pretty expensive, simply because you have to have the Cad Modelier in order to use the Cad. But I dont know exact prices.

But "Mots Expensive" I would probably lean towards Catia also. Same thing. You have to have the Cad to get the Cam

Mike Mattera
    I have to agree with this. The last time I heard Pro/E Wild Fire 4 and Catia V5 were above $75,000 Fully Blown. That is pretty darn high, but worth it if you need it.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com