587,675 active members*
3,640 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > MOST precise method of maching SMALL parts?

MOST precise method of maching SMALL parts?

What is the most advanced realistic method of producing SMALL parts that must be very precise? I'm talking for example gears that are used in wristwatches. They must be very precisely made to keep accurate time. There may be some molecular-level techniques but what I am interested in is the ways in which high end watch companies make their parts?

I would guess EDM, but maybe I am wrong? I would imagine that a look inside Rolex or Audemars would be absoultely fascinating.... EDM would seem to be the obvious answer but it's slow - do the big companies really use such machines to produce parts, considering Rolex make several hundred thousand watch movements a year?

Really tiny lathes and milling machines operated by gnomes from the Black Forest. Fine watches were made long before EDM so even if it is used now it was not in the past. I recall seeing somewhere that the gears are made as long shafts (long compared to the diameter I guess) and parted off but then how is the shaft made?

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    Really tiny lathes and milling machines operated by gnomes from the Black Forest. Fine watches were made long before EDM so even if it is used now it was not in the past. I recall seeing somewhere that the gears are made as long shafts (long compared to the diameter I guess) and parted off but then how is the shaft made?
    Long Gear Stock. The Shaft was made on a lathe then got Ground between centers. After that it was placed between centers on a Hobber. The entire length was Hobbed in one shot. Most likely a Barbra Coleman or Micron. These machines could hold .0001 on a 6" length of stock. Your best bet would be to ask the Swiss, because they make the Best Watches.

All kidding aside, Watches are what were made on Swiss Screw Machines. The shafts, pinions, spurs, gear blanks and all internal parts. The Housings were made on Mills with CAM setups. Watch Making is a really cool art.

What type of parts do you want to make is the question. Do you want to make Watches or something else. It would help to know what you want to make because for every part made depending on what it is needs a different application of machine tool.

You can make that most precise parts with a CNC Grinder, a CNC Swiss Screw Machine, Tool Room Lathe or a Jig Bore. What are you trying to make?
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com