587,777 active members*
2,463 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Motor Problems

I'm having problems with the original motor on my IH mill. There is a pop or snap sound after the motor is turned off and sometimes there is an arcing noise when starting the motor.

Is anyone else having these problems?

Mike

Hmmm doesn't sound too good. I didn't even run mine when I got it. I was going to for I tore it down to get it ready to CNC but ended up just taking it apart instead. In fact I went ahead and bought a new Leeson 2hp 3ph motor for it and VFD so I am not even going to run the original motor. Probably end up building some sort of tool that I can use the original motor on. I know that doesn't help any but I can't even tell you what it the motor even sounds like.

B.Kidd

Hi Mike,

I'm sure you're not looking for a slew of negative responses, but for the record, "No, I've not had any trouble with my original equipment motor after 40-50 hours machine time. I purchased the unit in March, 2005.

David

no problems with mine but i only have 15-20 hrs on it. have you checked the connections on the switch and wires in the peckerhead if all is good could be the start run switch in the back of motor.

Mike
    I upgrade my motor and you can have mine. I should note I have never run it and took off the switch. There was an article that chinese motors arent dipped to hold the wires where the should be and it can be done at any motor shop. By the way I used the 3 Hp leeson and all seems good.
    Randy

how long have you been running the 3hp motor? i want to up grade sooner or later

Mike
    Only for a month and that is with occasional use. I love the control with the VFD and when I cnc the mill I can control the motor speed thru the software (mach3). The 3hp does void warrenty but it seems everthing is smooth and the High end speed helps.
    Randy

I rewired my motor Forward/Reverse switch because when I disassembled the machine to take it into my shop the black primary wire was very poorly crimped to the pronged connector that clamps down on the switch. The black wire essentially fell off of the crimped on connector with very minimal movement. Inspect the wiring and make sure everything is secure. I eliminated the crimped connector and used bare wire directly on the switch. Check both the input and motor wiring.

Also, while you're working on the switch, inspect to make sure that the contacts are clean and that there aren't any wires or debris bridging the gap or potentially interfering with the contacts.