587,999 active members*
5,041 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Moving the WCS origin around

Moving the WCS origin around

I read a bunch of posts regarding the origin, but nothing seems to quite apply. I'm using Mastercam 9.1, and most of the time I just draw out 2D profiles and points and machine/drill using those. If I have to machine say, 3 sides of a part, I'll draw the 2D geometry for all 3 sides in 3 different areas on the screen. And then, as I machine the part (or parts, as sometimes I machine several identical parts in the same block of material), I'll make a new operations group, name it accordingly, translate the previous operation's geometry to some other place on the screen, and then translate the current geometry to the WCS origin where I can generate the toolpaths for the next operation. I was thinking it would sure be cool if I could just leave all my geometry alone and move the origin around instead of all the geometry, and have it associate by origin to the pertinent operations group. Is this possible?

Thanx!

Bump

Yes,

It is totally possible. In fact that is the only way I use the system. Most of my programing is done using 3d solid models. Machining on all 6 sides. The only time I move the part is to orient the part to the correct position when I import it. From then on I move the ucs to the positions I want to program from. It seems that many people do not use Mastercam to its full potential. I would get some books and check out some videos on you tube.

Yes you can using the WCS in V9 but the hole drawing 2d profile make it a 3d model and use WCS for all the different sides and varify them all together and see the hole part after all you paths.
    The only issue here is most do not run V9 anymore. I do not as it will not run on Win7 64bit and there is no reason with the newer version. but never the less you are running it. I may still have some were a video I did for V9 wcs years ago/ I will look later if I do I will post it.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

It seems that many people do not use Mastercam to its full potential.
    I agree. I am finding because they do not know what it can do or how to make it do more.

As a power user and a trainer of MC I show all kinds of ways to use the software and allot of the tools that most do not know are there. WCS and Dynamic Xform are big tools these days.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    The only issue here is most do not run V9 anymore. I do not as it will not run on Win7 64bit and there is no reason with the newer version.
    Not true! I run MasterCam 9.1 in Windows 7 64-bit. It works perfectly. The reason I so far refuse to switch over to X is because I HATE that new interface. It's just too clunky and busy for my taste. The newer version leaves me no reason so far to need it.

Thanks for responding anyway....

Not true! I run MasterCam 9.1 in Windows 7 64-bit.
    You did not just tack the dongle and put it on the back of the computer and load V9.1 as it will not run.
    As it does not support it. now are you running under XP mode?

(The reason I so far refuse to switch over to X is because I HATE that new interface.) Well sorry to hear but this how you feel so this were you will stay.all good not everyone has to like it.

The newer version leaves me no reason so far to need it.
    Well that part is another story, but I figure you do not get files from your customers for one thought as the translators are out dated and do not support allot of newer version formats of these days. Allot of the tool paths that have been added huge difference, the speed of the new 64bit version and support for multy core and processor support.
    Tool holder support. I can go on and on. but I know you do not like the interface.
    OH ya and the Dynamic WCS oh how this makes life so much easier.Did I mention that in the 64 bit that it support more ram and Mastercam will use it.

Just some thoughts take care.
    Cadcam