587,473 active members*
3,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > My 1st machine using CNCRouterParts.com parts
Page 1 of 3 123

My 1st machine using CNCRouterParts.com parts

I just got done building my second machine (first using Ahren's parts). I used 8020 beams, CNCRouterParts.com component setup and Unistrut for the base and legs. I don't have plans and I didn't use any. I will post a BOM materials on my site someday soon.
    Sean
    FreeCNCPlans.com

www.FreeCNCPlans.com

I used the 1/2-10 5 start lead screws and the nuts available at CNCRouterParts.com. I am using 495 oz motors on the X and Z and a 387 oz motor on the Y. The 495 on the Z was damaged during assembly and I disassembled it so I could fix it. Time to buy more motors!

I am using 4 Gecko's G201 with an Antek 50v 12 amp power supply.

www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Congrats on the successful build!

WOW! That's a lot of dust you've got going on there; just out of curiosity, are you using your dust hood as yet? The reason I ask is that I'm going to be operating out of my dad's pristine garage, and that amount of dust will likely get me kicked out if not killed (nuts).

I'm considering developing a completely enclosed worktable with a filtration system to encapsulate and suck up any airborne debris.

I just put it on minutes before the picture. The only thing about Ahren's setup...you must collect the dust or it will build up on the rails and bearings and lock up on side or the other. I am wondering if his setup could be fitted with v groove bearings on top and bottom? The dust is from not using the dust hood. I need to get a cyclone or seperator so the bag doesn't keep getting filled up all the time.

Other than the dust, I am very happy with the new setup using his parts. Highly recommended! I will definitely be continuing work on this machine and look forward to the day the rack and pinion is ready!

Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Smile dust build up on rails

Hi Sean,
    I have a router with the v guide rails (practical cnc) I use a dust hood but I still have trouble sometimes with stuff building up on the rails and causing binding. I am going to install some wipers infront of the guide wheels to help reduce the build-up. Bishop- wisecarver shows some lubricator wiper set-ups on there site. Check out what they do and "roll your own"!

Regards,
    Cutmore

Sean,
    A fine looking machine -- what sorts of speeds are you getting with those mondo-motors? Looks like maybe I should work on some dust wiper attachments for the carriages...

Ahren
    www.cncrouterparts.com

Dust wipers

Hi Ahren,
    Here is a link to the B-W covers.
    http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/bi...34088-_51.html

One other note, they (B-W) also say that if the guide rail is lubricated the wear goes way down. That however doesn't help us who have mess sprayers that seem to aim for mainly the rails!

Cutmore

I can get 300+ IPM, but the Y screw is bent I need to get another one, or better yet, I am waiting to see how the Rack and Pinion will work (I mean price wise).

The Y axis beam is only about 2 inches from the table. I need to rework the Y to bearing and add another 1.5 inch in height to it. The Z axis is a copy of Glacial Wanderer's shown on Ahren's site. I didn't use bottom bearing block, just let the screw free hang.

I have in mind to try some tooth brushes or cheap paint brushes. I think just anything to help keep the dust off the rails. I ran a v bearing/angle iron on my Y axis on my old machine and had no problems. I didn't have the dust hood, hose or anything hooked up. If I get the cyclone hooked up and switch from the down spiral carbide to up spiral, it will be much better I think. I cut parts out of plywood and make full depth cuts.

Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Just as a testament to the ease to Ahren's setup...me and my neighbor built this machine in 2 days. We don't work more than 8 hours a day. :cheers:
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Another testament to Ahren's setup...the maintenance hours in Mach 3 say 27956 for the x, 27568 for the y and 5264 for the z. We built this machine about 3 months ago and I reset the hours about a month ago.

We had a bearing crack 2 nights ago and had to take the y axis apart to fix it. It broke because someone tightened it to much (it wasn't me...honestly!!!). the only recommendation I would make...buy the upgrade bearings as the metal shields fall off and dirt gets into the bearings. Other than this, it is a good setup.
    Sean
    FreeCNCPlans.com
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Quote Originally Posted by freecncplans View Post
    Just as a testament to the ease to Ahren's setup...me and my neighbor built this machine in 2 days. We don't work more than 8 hours a day. :cheers:
    How much did this cost you to make roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by MBG View Post
    How much did this cost you to make roughly?
    I was thinking I had about $2,000 into the whole setup, but may be off on my cost.
    Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Quote Originally Posted by freecncplans View Post
    I just got done building my second machine (first using Ahren's parts). I used 8020 beams, CNCRouterParts.com component setup and Unistrut for the base and legs. I don't have plans and I didn't use any. I will post a BOM materials on my site someday soon.
    Sean
    FreeCNCPlans.com

Sean,

Thanks for sharing with us ABOUT your recent work done.

Looks like my Rack and Pinion set will be here tomorrow! Woo Hoo! I was hoping to have time this weekend to change this machine over, but it looks like it will be Monday or so. I can't afford to put the machine out of commision during a work day! Maybe I can get some help and do it one evening.
    I am hoping this setup will work as good or better than the screw components have been as easy as they have been to setup. I just need to make to tighten up all of my bolts before starting! (Especially the lead screw bolts to 8020)
    Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Was curious if you ever got the R&P setup and if you have pictures and any details on how it works? Also did you ever get a BOM made?

Nice Build

Very nice machine. Looks very stable. I bet it cuts very nicely.

Do you have a build log anywhere? I'd like to see it.

I don't have the BOM yet and this is my "build log". I will make a BOM from scratch to finish when I make the 4 by 8 machine. One of things I will be doing is adding a spacer for a bit more clearance under the gantry when I make the bigger machine.

The rack and pinion is really nice once I got the heavy springs. Keep in mind that I do cut 1/2" plywood in one cut. The 3/4" does give more me troubles, but I cut it with 2 passes now.

The rapids can run at 1,000 IPM with no problems.

www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Nice. How fast are you cutting? Do you know what your accel is set at?

I cut 90 IPM @ 1/2" deep with a 1/4" downcut bit. We just make basic parts and speed is more important that accuracy. The accuracy is good as far as I can tell. I cut 107 parts and they seemed to match to within 1/32". The material most likely moves more than the machine. Of course a sharp bit is required also.

Accel is set at 20. I have no clue what number is good. It gets up to 1,000 IPM when I have it set and runs full speed for several seconds before running out of table (4 foot).

Sean
    www.FreeCNCPlans.com

Looks really good!

Page 1 of 3 123