587,307 active members*
3,713 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    I would forget about using 25mm for the side plates, mine are 12mm and are extremely solid. The entire gantry is only bolted together with 8 M8 bolts and there is no deflection (I can put my foot on the top corner of the gantry and push with all my weight and there is no detectable deflection). 25mm would be very very heavy.
    My thoughts against MDF are that it can distort when bolted down and any moisture would cause problems, it would also not add any rigidaty to the frame. If I used a aluminium plate I would skim this, maybe a couple of 5thou passes. The problem with this is that my table will be bigger than my cutting area so skimming will result in a recess.

Sizing steppers is hard as it depends on what screws you use and the speeds you want to run at. My opinion is the bigger the better.

Thanks for the comments, hopefully I will be cutting in the next couple weeks.

Sounds good on the 12mm plates.

Interesting thoughts on MDF. Makes me wonder if it would distort a little every month or so. I am a toolmaker by trade and I can see me not being happy with the table changing every time I go to use the machine. One thing I am thinking of using is a surface plate made of granite. A place in the USA has them cheap. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9657 To far to ship to you but may interest other in the US. I am told it can be drilled with a hammer drill and threaded inserts installed for hold downs. Problem is that it is about 400lbs. for a 2' X 3' plate. Also I think drilling all those holes in granite would be a lot of work.

Keep up the good work and updates. I'll be watching for your idea's and your first run.

Bret

Matt
    If you use a flycutter to skim your table top you can adjust it to reach the edge. You will need a slow spindle though.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Excellent thought on the flycutter!

I think granite would be a bit expensive in the uK plus I really need to be able to move this machine from time to time and a 4' x 2' slab of granite would require a crane!

Again more progress, something must be wrong with me!

As far as the main construction is concerned the only thing left is the feet (I do not have any suitable material at the moment).
    The Z axis support also needs the bottom chopped of and the rail moved up to allow for the clearance over the table surface.
    Now for the router plate and the connection between the gantry and the x axis nut carrier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails framemock6.jpg   testfit1.jpg   testfit2.jpg   testfit3.jpg  

Well finally some more progess on this project.
    After extending the shed to accomodate the router I have started to finish it!
    I have made up the X axis nut mounting plate and the router plate. All the major metal work is now done, just some limit switch mounting etc to do.
    Now on to the driver electronics and software.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails endview.jpg   gantryview.jpg   routerview1.jpg   routerview2.jpg  

xdrivemount.jpg  

Nice looking machine matth! What's the thickness on the gantry side? Maby you should put something along the gantry side to prevent flexing.
    Building machines since 2005

Hi GNU,

Thanks, the gantry sides are 10mm Alu (this feels very solid) bolted into 4" box section (the ends of which are very square and act as a very strong brace).
    Pushing against the side of the gantry with my body I can detect no flex or deflection.

Good, now I can sleep
    Planning to use 15mm on a similar design.
    Building machines since 2005

Great looking machine Matth. Saltwater aquariums has brought me here also. I'm building a large needlewheel skimmer and decided to build a router to build all the parts for it.

Your router comes together nicely.
    I would go for mdf table top, flex is almost nihil,
    but I would have it painted because of the moisture when your adding fluid during cutting.

Really nice router and please keep posting.

I too am going to do my machine in aluminium - did you do all the work yourself - if you are close to wakefield i would love to come see the machine
    Drakkn Custom Shop http://www.drakkncustomshop.co.uk

where did you get the aluminium box section from in the UK

All the metal came from http://www.wr-richards.co.uk/
    The site is down at the mo but keep an eye on it. A chap called Mark runs the business and is very helpfull (shipping is cheap aswell).

Nice Matth ! I'm reeeaaalllly slowly making a router kinda simular size.. 5 plus years on family life keeps intruding !! I'm from Dorset - Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Drakkn View Post
    where did you get the aluminium box section from in the UK
    I've had some good pickings from the scrap yard - one in Poole had some very useful fairly heavy gauge stuff - another screappy didn't have any tho so check first!

Pat

Keep on it Pat, you'll be impressed with all your effort when you see it zooming around for the first time.
    Mine took about 3 years, 2 on research and about 12 months of on and off building.
    I find the size very helpfull as I can buy full 8' x 4' sheets of stock and get the supplier to rip them down to quater sheets.

Anyone up north want to share any experiences on aluminium build.I am about to start - The only thing I have so far is the bearings.But have found a local company that should be able to supply the aluminium.

Page 2 of 2 12