587,775 active members*
2,885 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My DIY Stone Router

Here are some pics of the stone router I buit ~6 month ago. It has a 3hp 3ph motor with a VFD in a separate box. The hight adjusting knob is attached to a sproket that rotates four other sprokets by chain with threads in them for the four support bolts. Still running strong even after falling a few times.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RouerSide.jpg   RouterSide1.jpg   RouterTop.jpg  
    Dennis

Any more details....what are you using for the surface that rubs on the granite?

Ask the Q's and I'll answer. I have white plastic screwed to the bottom of the lower aluminum plate with a channel machined in the plastic so when it mates to the plate the water gets distributed to the little holes that are drilled through out the bottom of the plastic so it floats of water. But it still cratches the surface, so we put white flashing plastic on the stone then the router.
    Dennis

What is the RPM of the motor....how is it geared down or up....is the drive mechanism a belt, chain or gear? Is the spindle of a fixed height, if not then how is it adjusted?

The motor is 3,600 rpm, it has a gear belt 1:1, I should have made it like 1:3 or so but it works fine like that. I crank up the VFD to 120Hz and it buzzes away all day.
    The spindle is fixed but the entire router is supported by four 1/2 bolts to the lower plate and as you turn the white knob all four brass nuts rotare and the router mover up or down.
    I'll see if I have pictures of the inside.
    Dennis

It has four of the brass sprokets below and the four supporting bolts go through them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SproketSide.jpg   SproketTop.jpg  
    Dennis

So at 120 Hz....is the motor speed 7200 RPM?

^^^ Correct. Not sure how long the motor will last like that, but it just gets ~130*F, it is a TEFC motor so they are make to run hot.
    Dennis

Hello
    I was just browsing around when I came across your stone router. Where do you get your stone router bits from.... I will get back to cnc routers now

In US I bought a set of bits from Helix tools, Mark Smith is the one I spoke with.
    Dennis

CNC Router

Anybody looking for a CNC router???

Sure, whats the price?
    Dennis

Do not post advertisements!

What a nice little creation.

^^^ Still runs like it did first day.
    Dennis

Hi Dennis, do you plan to sell this router?