587,311 active members*
3,659 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

My First Part

Hi guys

Thought I would share my first real part on my very new 1100
    Keep in mind that I am a very noob at maching - but a bit of a wizz at computers (that's my day job)

It's a door catch for the delux stand - the front door as supplied was a bit out of spec and the catch did not engage with the frame.
    So I thought - what a good first real part

The process is
    1. Draw it up in SolidWorks 2012 - that took 10mins 'cos I have already climbed that learning curve

2. do the CAM in Sprut - that took 2 days 'cos still in the foothills of that learning curve

3. cut metal!!!!

Attached are some pics
    the solidworks dump is the part in solidworks

then some machining in some scrap - actually from a computer case - 3mm steel of some sort.

(a) is the first attempt - not too good - clamped the whole 18" length at the ends and it was bouncing - learnt about clamping from that

(b) oops - got the feeds and speeds from GWizz and did it with no coolant - doing it step by step wanted to do a simple part first to see if all worked and then put on the delux stand drip trays and link up the coolant.
    within 1" the whole thing got cherry red and chips welding themselves to the cutter (1/4" HSS 4 flute center cutter) - quick bang on the EStop and reach for the extinguisher just in case. - learnt about coolant from that.

(c) Got it all together and did it - the top is as finished the bottom has been separated and the tabs cleaned up - and the door now closes :}

Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails first part sw.jpg   first part.jpg  

Nice job! I remember how hard it can be to take those first steps. keep it up!
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

Congrats on your first part! It's all gravy from now on...................okay, not really, but it will still be fun. :P

Good job. Wait until you have the mill on the stand with everything working. You'll have even more fun!

Frederic

Hey, congrats, man. Nice first step!

I always run with water coolant, but today when doing a couple of light passes I left the coolant of. On a whim I grabbed a couple of chips out of the air. Quickly turned the coolant back on after feeling how hot they get!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    Hey, congrats, man. Nice first step!

I always run with water coolant, but today when doing a couple of light passes I left the coolant of. On a whim I grabbed a couple of chips out of the air. Quickly turned the coolant back on after feeling how hot they get!

Doesn't take very long to inspect a hot horseshoe!

nitewatchman

Congrats on the first part, looks good!
    My first parts were wood, I have just graduated to aluminum, this machine and related software will keep you busy for years to come!!
    mike sr

Hi Mike

Well....
    It's not *really* the first part - cut air first (can't show that one )
    and then cut MDF - serveral times

Good job I did too - as at that point I did not understand the crucial need to set the right tool number in Mach to get the right z offset

so the center drill plunged straight into the MDF - bag on the EStop - no harm done though.

As you say this is going to be years of fun !!!

Peter