587,986 active members*
4,359 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > My G0704 CNC conversion adventure
Page 11 of 12 9101112
    Well I better bring this thread back to life as I'm going to be doing a few upgrades on the g0704 this winter.

1) AC Bearing upgrade
    2) Motor upgrade
    3) 4th axis

1) Bearing Upgrade
    I am a little worried about the fitment of the bearings after reading mhackneys thread and watching a video from diyengineer on youtube. I hope I don't run into any major issues that require excessive sanding or machining of the shaft. I am planning to go with the VXB bearings listed on Hoss's site here G0704 Belt Drive . One thing to note is that vxb has raised the price on these bearings significantly since Hoss posted them. By no means a deal breaker more an observation

VXB.com
    7007B Bearing 35x62x14 Angular Contact - lower bearing - $12.95 (now $16.88)
    9500 rpm limit with grease, 3934 lb. dynamic load, .0004 runout - ABEC1
    7005B Bearing 25x47x12 Angular Contact - upper bearing - $9.95(now $12.95)
    13,000 rpm limit with grease, 2540 lb. dynamic load, .0004 runout - ABEC1

update: Leaning towards the higher RPM bearings form bearing direct
    7007C Precision 15 Degree Angular Ball Bearing 35x62x14 ABEC1 NSK
    7005C Precision 15 Degree Angular Ball Bearing 25x47x12 ABEC1

I'm not sure if there is a case of certain bearing brands fitting the shaft better on the g0704 but if there is I'd like to go with those.

I'm going to "Use a 35x45x4mm shim that would go on the spindle first below the lower bearing" for the shims. Unfortunately McMaster doesn't ship to Canada so I can't buy the part# 98055A346 1mm shims. I've called around and had very little luck trying to find some locally.

2)Motor Upgrade
    I ordered the "G0704 belt drive prints" from Hoss and I'll study them and try and come up with a plan. There are so many options here...in fact too many for me I'll have a hard time deciding. I don't know enough about it yet but I do think I will want to try to keep Full Quill operation. I don't know what that will entail yet.

3)4th axis
    I've got a couple of ideas here ranging from buying one off ebay to making one out of a rotary table. I've got the parts coming to add the 4th axis to my controller and it will be a very simple thing to do as I built it with the intention of adding it.

Anyhow so much reading to do...
    Checkout my new Tech Blog! http://xnaron.com

Found the shim washers at fastenal! Yahoo!

35X45X1 Hardened Spring Steel DIN 988 Precision Shim Ring
    Manufacturer: Fastenal Approved Vendor
    SKU: 11508324

25X36X1 Hardened Spring Steel DIN 988 Precision Shim Ring
    Manufacturer: Fastenal Approved Vendor
    SKU: 11508314

I burned up 2 of the treadmill motors in a year doing fairly light production runs. I bought one if the 1100w motors and it is a much better motor(so far).

I skipped the quill and I haven't missed it at all.

Fitting the bearings isn't that bad, it just takes a little time and patience.

BTW, buy a few extra shims. I think I wound up using 5-6.

Bummer...just got off the phone with fastenal. They would need to bring the shim washers in from a vendor and the minimum order is for 100 of each. Works out to $97 for both sizes...back on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    I burned up 2 of the treadmill motors in a year doing fairly light production runs. I bought one if the 1100w motors and it is a much better motor(so far).

I skipped the quill and I haven't missed it at all.

Fitting the bearings isn't that bad, it just takes a little time and patience.
    Thanks Chris. Are you running a new controller as well? Can you share where you purchased the motor from and the part number etc?

Brendin

I have some extra shims I can sell you I bought both sizes and only used about 1/2 of each package. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'm running a KBMM-225 ($45 off eBay) and a motor I bought through Quality Machine Tools (Precision Mathews). It was NOS from the PM-30 mill. I got the last one they had, but they might be able to hook you up with a newer version.

FYI - McMaster Carr now ships to Canada so you can order those shims from them now. I just ordered last night and got my order today by Purolator (thankfully not by UPS).

Personally I was sick and tired of the slow service at Fastenal. They would take weeks to get my order in and I would often have to call them to remind them about it. So on a whim I checked up on McMaster and placed an order last night. I was ecstatic when I saw the shipment confirmation email and not another order cancellation message from them. They shipped "Next Day Air" via Purolator with brokerage included for $13.
    -Leo

Quote Originally Posted by LacL View Post
    FYI - McMaster Carr now ships to Canada so you can order those shims from them now. I just ordered last night and got my order today by Purolator (thankfully not by UPS).

Personally I was sick and tired of the slow service at Fastenal. They would take weeks to get my order in and I would often have to call them to remind them about it. So on a whim I checked up on McMaster and placed an order last night. I was ecstatic when I saw the shipment confirmation email and not another order cancellation message from them. They shipped "Next Day Air" via Purolator with brokerage included for $13.
    That is good news. Did you use an account with them that you created in the past or did you create a new account for the order? Did you use a business name?

Edit:

I created a new account and placed an order. Hopefully I will get a shipping notice. The page that popped up was advertising an IPAD application for Canadian customers so it looks like they changed their tune. This very awesome if they did.

NOPE... ORDER CANCELLED

"Hi Brendin,

Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders.

Jim"

Did I win the MCC Canadian VIP lottery or something, what's going on?

I created a new account and I did use a company name just in case. I have a registered business here in Quebec. Whereabouts are you located? Maybe they reject anyone using a free "hotmail" type address?

I found this post and it looks like I'm not the only one so not sure why you have been rejected. O/T Mcmaster-Carr shipping to Canada now ??
    -Leo

I created a new account and I did use a company name just in case. I have a registered business here in Quebec. Whereabouts are you located? Maybe they reject anyone using a free "hotmail" type address?

I found this post and it looks like I'm not the only one so not sure why you have been rejected. O/T Mcmaster-Carr shipping to Canada now ??
    You already received your order? I am in Edmonton. I did not use my business name but should have. It's interesting though as I just got an email now saying it will ship in the morning. We'll see what happens. I am not holding my breath

Maybe the key is putting in the order after hours so they don't have any humans around to cancel it before it ships.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
    I have some extra shims I can sell you I bought both sizes and only used about 1/2 of each package. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I'm running a KBMM-225 ($45 off eBay) and a motor I bought through Quality Machine Tools (Precision Mathews). It was NOS from the PM-30 mill. I got the last one they had, but they might be able to hook you up with a newer version.

Just wanted to make sure it was a kbmm-225 as HOSS lists a kbmm-125 as what he used.

thanks,
    Brendin

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    You already received your order? I am in Edmonton. I did not use my business name but should have. It's interesting though as I just got an email now saying it will ship in the morning. We'll see what happens. I am not holding my breath

Maybe the key is putting in the order after hours so they don't have any humans around to cancel it before it ships.
    Yes, I received my order today. I ordered during regular business hours. I'm pretty sure their system is automated given the size of the company so it might still be blocking individuals from ordering. This morning I received a shipment confirmation email that the order had shipped last night along with a tracking number. I really hope my order was not just some glitch in the system that let it go through.
    -Leo

Without looking them up, I think the difference between the -125 and -225 is the voltage, 120 vs 230.

Yea, I only have one 15A 110V circuit in my garage. I've got 10 4ft florescent fixtures running off that circuit, so I only have about 8A of power available. It should be a crime for a builder to build a house like that. I added a 50A 220V plug for my compressor, table saw, mill and lathe right after we moved in. So the controller runs off 110V and the motor runs off 220V.

Thanks guys! I have both 110 and 220V available to the mill. The -225 version seems pretty expensive on ebay right now.

They cancelled it today in the system Looks like you got lucky. It will be interesting if you are able to order again. If so you lucked out.

I've got the bearings ordered for the spindle upgrade and have a line on the 1100 watt motor.

I've searched and can't find any ready made belt drive kits for the g0704. Does anyone know of any?

This guy makes a belt drive kit:

Untitled Page

Quote Originally Posted by gcofieldd View Post
    This guy makes a belt drive kit:

Untitled Page
    Thanks...will check it out.

Page 11 of 12 9101112