587,614 active members*
3,612 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > T-Slot CNC building > My machine, need motors and controllers

Threaded View

My machine, need motors and controllers

Hi,
    This is my first post here. I've been slowly working on my gantry machine for several years, on and off. It is almost complete. The body is extruded aluminum, with linear slide rails on each side and on the gantry. Right now about the only thing left to build is the motor mount for the y axis on the gantry. I bought some stepper motors a while back on ebay. I'm not sure they are powerful enough, though. I hooked them up to my circuit and they worked ok. Here's a video of that: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_e-2Lytv0]Jeremy's stepper motors for CNC gantry - YouTube[/ame] When I connected them to the gantry, it only moved back and forth slowly and erratically. I'm not sure if the wires I had from my breadboard to the motors were crappy, or if the motors were just too weak. I'm looking for advice on motor/driver sets. I've seen a few on different sites. One thing I have noticed, though, is that none of them seem to cater to a gantry system with rack and pinion gears on each side with a motor on each side. Does anyone have any experience with this, and can anyone recommend any sets? I'll see if I can attach pictures of my machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0268.jpg   100_0271.jpg   IMAG0281.jpg