587,608 active members*
3,607 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

My new cnc router build

I'm Gary and I am new to cnc and this is my first post, so I have been looking over the forums to pick up whatever is usefull.
    Recently started to build a Joes 2006 from plans in solidworks format with a few variations. Got the x and y axis build, did have the use of my wood workshop but no cnc outfits.
    The rest of the woodwork build is no real problem, I expect these to come with the controller and computer set up, lack a lot of know how, so I'm on a steep learning curve.

Here are some pictures of my build so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gluing x axis torsion box.jpg   X axis torsion box.jpg   Gluing y axis torsion box.jpg   Gantry front.jpg  

X axis rails.jpg   Ready for drive screws.jpg  

Looks good. What are the rough dimensions you are using?

Cutting area should be 5 x 2 foot

Nice work......keep the pics coming!

Mike

Looking good so far
    Cheers, Bob
    http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

I decided on 1/2" acme lead screws, it seems acme thread is hard to come by in Australia so after 3 weeks search I finally located some at United Fasteners in Brisbane.
    Got them to day in one 3.6 meter length, had to take what I could get. Turned out to be an odd size 6 tpi.
    Just as well that I waited before ordering anti backlash nuts. I just ordered them from Dumpster cnc. Hope to see them in a fortnight

Got my anti backlash nuts and couplers last week, they are a nice fit. Put in the drive screws for the x and y axis, ran them with my power drill at 2200 revs, (that would translate to 330inch/min,will be running it a lot slower) without hardly any whip over the x axis and none over the y axis and running very smooth.

The z axis is still giving me some trouble, not nearly smooth enough for my liking, so I'll probable redo it.

Attached a few pictures of y axis details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drive assemble.jpg   Y axis with drive screw installed.jpg  

What is the problem with the Z axis?

The piccy's look pretty good
    Cheers, Bob
    http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

I constructed the Z axis acording to design, but somehow the bearings on the back of the steel rods are not running smooth enough like there is some binding. Possible not precise enough.
    I will make another bearing block, see if I can make it moore precise.

For motors and elctronics I will use Xylotecs I think, haven't made up my mind yet, the motors will have to be 425 oz inch to do a proper job.

Hey Gary,

Your machine is looking pretty sweet.
    Im in Sydney with a pretty similar machine based on Joes Design. If you have any issues feel free to give me a yell. I'm from the electrical side of things, if that helps. My build log was here:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40699

On the motor front I've been using the 305/425oz-in motors from HobbyCNC and am able to jog at 250IPM and manage light cuts at 200IPM. 8TPI-2Start, effectively 4TPI threads.
    With the Z axis I found that everything being parallel is really important, since the rails are so close together.

Hope some of that is useful,
    Scott

Hi Scott
    I am sure I'm going to need some help with the electronics, but I am not up to that yet.
    did some adjusting to the u bolts seems to be going better now.
    Gary.

Got my Z axis sorted out, its going quite smooth now.
    I had to redo the Z axis slide.
    Just a few pics to show progres.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Z Axis ready to install.jpg   Z Axis installed.jpg  

The router Looks Good, Hope to see it cutting soon

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by woodworm View Post
    I decided on 1/2" acme lead screws, it seems acme thread is hard to come by in Australia so after 3 weeks search I finally located some at United Fasteners in Brisbane.
    Got them to day in one 3.6 meter length, had to take what I could get. Turned out to be an odd size 6 tpi.
    Just as well that I waited before ordering anti backlash nuts. I just ordered them from Dumpster cnc. Hope to see them in a fortnight
    I ended up buying the same from these guys, needed them to cut the length so it would fit in the car, they ended up bending the bar.. thats why i decided to go with the ballscrews,
    Your build so far looks excellent, makes me wish i had painted mine, oh well maybe i will cut a new one and paint it this time....

Got the new Makita die grinder installed, still have to do the electronics
    I will be ordering Xylotex motors and drivebox over the next few month.

In between I want to build a vac table to use with the router and I still have to build a cabinet for the electronics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Makita die grinder 1.jpg   Makita die grinder 2.jpg  

Hi all
    About time for some updates. I finaly got the xylotex drive box and motors,
    I also have been busy making a vac. table for my machine, The routing and engraving is as per dxf file. This will be done when the machine is operational.
    Still have to make the vac. manifold I have been using 40 mm plastic drainage fittings. The vacuum will be supplied by my shop vacuum cleaner.

The engraved top will supply vacuum to a sacraficial mdf cutting surface, because of the shosen layout I can use any one up to the 9 sections, closing the ones not in use with a sheet of plastic simply lay it on the unused sections and let the vacuum do the rest.

To make the table more efficient I sealed the inside parts with 50% pva water mixtue.

The motors, drive box and EMC2 set up were tested before fixing the motors to the router. Gary

Ps. The dxf file may need some more work its my first!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum support layout.jpg   Holes for manifold.jpg   Motors attached.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

The Vac table is a nice Mod, sure interested to see it working.

Joe

Finally got the computer and drives all hooked up, everything works ok but a little slower than anticipated. I am running Ubuntu 8.04 and EMC2, the computer is an old Packard Bell running a P3 processor at 700Mhz. I get a latency test result of 24500ns.
    When testing the axis I found that going any faster than 950 mm/min resulted in overloading and step losses, I had expected better results as I'm using a 6 tpi screw and 425 oz.in. motors, so why the lower figures? and what should I be able to get? Gary

What drivers are you using, Power supply and micro stepping?

woodworm nice work , be great if you show'n'tell at the next CNCZONE BBq meet in your state.

cheers

Page 1 of 2 12