587,458 active members*
3,674 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 45 91011121321
    Are you going to just make one 12x12 router?
    Would the 24x24 cost a lot more than the 12x12?

I would love one of your routers as the design look very solid.
    Keep up the good work

Quote Originally Posted by Sharx View Post
    Are you going to just make one 12x12 router?
    Would the 24x24 cost a lot more than the 12x12?
    The cost is undetermined at this point, as I have not hat time to sit and go through all the receipts for the 12x12!

Both the 12x12 & Maxi-Router will have the same number of linear slide bushings, and use the same y & z axis slide blocks, so when I perfect one the other will be easier!

Therefore making another 12x12 is not a problem either!

Eric

I've never seen a commercial thread get this much tolerance in a purely diy forum.
    Steve
    DO SOMETHING, EVEN IF IT'S WRONG!

Mad... if you look bach through the thread there is much to learn from widget. From the great pictures learning how to clamp things down to make duplicates to his flycutter and the list goes on.

Becides he is building them him self and they are SO perty..

But anyway waiting to see what 400 over cost looks like..hehe

b.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Madclicker View Post
    I've never seen a commercial thread get this much tolerance in a purely diy forum.
    Origonally I was just building the Mini-Router for myself, but it was received so well, that I built 5 more! Then I was instructed by a close friend to Incorporate to protect myself!, so I searched for the domain name and within a week, WidgitMaster was alive!

I don't expect to do this for ever, but as long as I have my health and the ability to work in my shop, I will tinker and design stuff! Selling it as I go is simply paying for the $25,000 I spent to put a shop in garage, and it's not paying it off as fast as you may think!

I guess that I like to share my ideas, and posting all the step by step pictures is fun for me, and very helpfull for those who are just getting started in the machine tool hobby or business! After all, I can't take it with me!

As far as being a commercial thread, well, I could take the WidgitMaster, Inc. off my headings? I'm sorry if my project ventures offend you!

Eric

don't get mad about mad. I think if he reads the posts here he will see what this thread is really about.

Keep posting, we all love to see your work. You really are a DIY'selfer. I think we have all learned a lot from your posts, I know I have.

mw
    www.bigbearcnc.com

absolutely, just watching as your projects have grown have not only tought me some stuff about building these machines, but so much about machine setup, and the shop that i want to have soon... machining teniques, and terminoligy.... not to mention that seeing how your doing things have not only tought me how, but have boosted my confidence in my abilities to venture foward into my own build... i'm sorry if he sees this as a commercial thread, i see it as one heck of an education...
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Keep on posting Eric, your machines are an inspiration to those of use who want to build or buy finely crafted machines made in a home shop.

Jason

Keep going!

I agree. Don't stop posting because someone didn't take the time to actually read the full thread before commenting. I feel I have learned more from this thread then all of the other threads on this forum combined. Keep it up Eric!

Dutch

Pay no heed Widgitmaster, I love you matey I didnt know how to check the alignment of my mill and through reading this thread I now know :beer: As far as a commercial thread...Whats wrong with making your hobby pay :shrug: I make a few quid here and there and see no problem with that (hell if I was in the market to buy a machine i'd probably be negotiating a purchase from you myself as the quality is equal to if not surpasses many "commercial" products i've looked at!!) You pass on your knowledge for free as do many others at CncZone and I appreciate that. Oh and put the inc back in as it looks kinda cute One of my uncles is a 71 year old toolmaker and he still enjoys working at what he enjoys the most....Making things...Just off to see what the protagonist makes....Longest post from me yet
    Keith

Unhappy

Thank you all for your support!
    I have received and official "Okidoki" from the Moderators, and they don't see any problems with my posting images with intents to sell my creations! The moderator also felt that my posts were educational and inspirational!

I have to say that negative post had sent me for a loop, and I have been so pre occupied with his negativity, that I could not concentrate!

I have just purchaced a new 24"x18"x4" granite surface plate and stand, so I could assemble all my units on a flat surface! After leveling the 12x12 router on the rock, I was able to measure the slop in the x-axis slide!

The X-axis slide block on the 12x12 router had two loose bores for the ball bushings, and I had ordered a new block of aluminum to re-make the x-axis slide block! It is the bore diameter that controls the amount of loosness or preload on the ball bushings! The Manufacturer's specifications suggest a .8750" dia. bore, for a .5000" dia. linear shaft! Well the actual diameter of the shafts is .4995" so the bores also have to be .0005" smaller!

Well, as it turned out I now have to scrap pieces! I made the bores perfect using the .0001" bore gage i bought on eBay, but screwed up the location of the bores by .100"! I forgot to set the offset for the dang edge finder! That is something I have not done in many years!

Now I have to reorder another 16"x4"x2" block of aluminum, and will attempt to remake the slide again! In the mean time I have opened the loose bores on the 1st block to .999 dia. and plan to press in aluminum plugs and rebore the holes! This may or may not work, as the pressure might warp the whole slide block, or the plugs might loosten up after they are bored out and slotted!

Either way, I'm gratefull for the Moderator's positive response, and now I can relax and make the components for the Y-Axis slide!

Thanks again for all your supportive comments!
    Eric
    WidgitMaster
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0885.JPG   000_0892.JPG   000_0887.JPG   000_0886.JPG  

000_0891.JPG   000_0888.JPG   000_0889.JPG   000_0890.JPG  

000_0893.JPG  

Didn't mean to tweak you gramps. I was just stating the obvious. It was obvious the moderators were ok with your posts or they would have deleted or moved them sooner.....like they did the other one today!
    Steve

Whoops my bad :cheers:
    Keith

deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Now I take offence at your "Gramps" reference are you reffering to the age of the poster or his quality/capabilities? be careful how you answer as you may be commiting yourself to further disgrace. Oh and btw i'm not "aged" or "retired" but have an interest in how this all pans out! Try this out..."I'm sorry for being so objectionable and knowing so little but with the fullness of time I will surely learn" hth Personally if you were within grasping distance i'd be fairly pissed off with you...ok so 4.000 miles is a fair distance and i'll adjust my tone to suit but wtf is going on in your head? If it's "obvious" then leave it alone :shrug: this may seem like i'm more "PO'd" than "Gramps" and yeah that would be true...Now i'm no spring chicken but your comments so far have disparaged the ideal of passing on knowledge and carried over into "you're too old" syndrome! I say again wtf is going on in your head? i'll end with a ? is there a cut off age for being "gramps"

Geeze...now can't make a reference to people of the same age. Get a grip.
    Steve

For anyone planning on spending any time on internet forums, rule #1:

If someone says something you don't like, ignore it, and the problem goes away. Respond, and you create a far bigger issue. Just my observation.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Cool Worked on the Y-Axis Slide for 12x12 router today!

Today I made a single-lip cutter on my surface grinder, so that I could machine a 15° angle on both sides of the linear rail supports!

Then I milled out the slide block from a solid chunk of 6061 aluminum, it has the radius for the rails, and the 15° angle to match the angle on the ball bushings!

Then I made the end plates with the end bearings for the z-axis lead screw, which are pressed into the aluminum.

Then I turned up the 1/2-10 Acme lead screw to fit exactly between the bearings, so there is zero end play!

Then i took the 18" long linear rail, and used an abrasive cut-off wheel in my surface grinder to cut two 7 1/8" long rails.
    Then I put the rails in my mill vise, where I milled the ends to a length of 7.000" with a 1/4" dia 4-flute carbide end mill!
    Later I'll drill and tap the mounting holes in the rails, when I get all the calculations done and know their exact locations!

After all the holes were drill, tapped, and counter-bored for 10-24 SHCS, all I need to do is assemble it and make the bores for the y-axis ball bushings!

To be continued!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_0896.JPG   000_0897.JPG   000_0898.JPG   000_0900.JPG  

000_0904.JPG  

You are a Master...very nice work.
    Hey Widgitmaster you are up a little late it must be about 2:30 am where your at.

Nothing like a little OT

Vince

so i have to ask, what would you charge me to come and apprentice in your shop for a couple weeks? I'm so totally in awe of what your making and the skills that it must take... (insert smiley bowing down and saying "WE'RE NOT WORTHY")
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

I have just listed one of the mini's on eBay!

Eric

Page 11 of 45 91011121321