587,345 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: My RouterBOT

Page 1 of 4 123

My RouterBOT

I finally took out the time to take some pictures of my cnc router. Still a work in progress as it seems like I never run out of simple ideas to add to this machine...

Here is a picture of a Mayan Calendar carving that my son and I made today. We also shot a video to add to the fun...

Video Link: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=446yp1v-XiY"]YouTube - Mayan Calendar Carving[/nomedia]

Very clean, and that is a different take on vacuum. Rather than the vacuum moving up and down with the router, it is at a fixed height. Seems to work pretty good because dust wasn't flying everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Lurker View Post
    Very clean, and that is a different take on vacuum. Rather than the vacuum moving up and down with the router, it is at a fixed height. Seems to work pretty good because dust wasn't flying everywhere.
    Thanks.

Yes, the dust shield worked great, actually beyond my expectations. Although this type of dust control is mainly for flat panel type routing. Doing carvings in 3d would require the traditional vacuum which will move with the router.

Nice looking setup. I've only seen a very few with R&P Z axis.

The Aztec calendar is an impressive carving isn't it? When it starts by boring holes in a random pattern it made me wonder if something was wrong the first time I cut one. I almost shut it down.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Very nice setup Tulsaturbo!

I wish my machine and work area looked as neat and clean as that!

Interesting 4th axis. This is definitely not a "me too" design.

That Aztec design has appeared here before, is there a g-code file posted somewhere ?
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    Nice looking setup. I've only seen a very few with R&P Z axis.
    Thanks. I really wanted the R&P setup for my Z axis versus the traditional screw drive. It took a while to come up with a working design but I'm very happy with the way it finally turned out. The 3:1 gear reduction drive was the "Cherry on Top" of its final design...

The Aztec calendar is an impressive carving isn't it? When it starts by boring holes in a random pattern it made me wonder if something was wrong the first time I cut one. I almost shut it down.
    Yes, the calendar is a very impressive carving. Its funny that we had the same thoughts. When my son and I started watching the carving process, we were like "OMG, that doesn't look right!" It was a definite treat to watch the carving unfold to its final results. We had a lot of fun with this one.

When I originally saw the mayan calendar on the vectric forum I knew that I had to make one. I'm just glad that I ran across your thread when you began to make them a while back then graciously posted the gcode. Once again, Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Very nice setup Tulsaturbo!
    Hi RomanLini, Thanks for the compliment

I wish my machine and work area looked as neat and clean as that!
    Trust me that was not originally the case. I've had my fair share of dust storms. Now that winter is here, I moved the machine inside my office in the shop where its heated. I knew I could not operate the router in there unless I came up with a way to control the dust and chips. With that said, I can now spend more time creating with the machine rather than cleaning...

Quote Originally Posted by tulsaturbo View Post
    When I originally saw the mayan calendar on the vectric forum
    So that's where it's from. Ignore my previous request if it violates any copyright belonging to Vectric or any of their users..

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    Interesting 4th axis. This is definitely not a "me too" design.
    It was an afterthought. I wanted to play around with making things on a 4th axis and to do that I had to come up with a solution that did not involve taking the machine apart.

Here is a picture taken during the design process on how the router will interface with the 4th axis.

That Aztec design has appeared here before, is there a g-code file posted somewhere ?
    Yes Carveone posted on his thread.
    You guys can download the Aztec-Mayan Calendar G-code file from Hyrum R's site. The file is around 11.5Mb. This includes a 30", 24", and 16" sizes for 3/4" V bit and 24" and 16" sizes for a 3/8" Vbit.

So that's where it's from. Ignore my previous request if it violates any copyright belonging to Vectric or any of their users..
    I have no knowledge that it does.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Downloaded
    Thank you !

If it is the same one as the one in the thread quoted below, no copyrights are violated:

Quote Originally Posted by BrianM
    ***(QUOTE FROM VECTRIC FORUM)***

That Aztec calender is a very nice design, and I've just checked on the other forum and the poster says that it is free for anyone to use as they wish.

Brian

Vectric Forum • View topic - "BIG" Job....

I'm not sure if it's alright to link to another forum, but I posted this so that the file won't get removed from here and others get to try it out. I showed the calendar to my wife and she wants me to make one once my machine is up and running.

Very nice looking machine. I like the 4th axis gives me ideas for mine.

archer3d

Quote Originally Posted by archer3d View Post
    Very nice looking machine. I like the 4th axis gives me ideas for mine.
    Thanks.

Here is a good source for purchasing a chuck arbor shaft mount:
    H8024 1/2" Heavy-Duty Portable Shaft

Here are some additional images of the 4th axis. Max swing diameter on my table is 8+ inches with a 24 inch work piece length.

The next project will be the "Ball in a Cube". (1.5" x 1.5" x 1.5") perfect for testing purposes prior to tackling a larger size. I've been wanting to make one of these ever since I saw one made on youtube. Just finished up the tap file and running it through Mach3 to view the profile cutting.

The machine is all set up and ready to go. As soon as I get the extra time, with no interruptions, it will get started...

Why such a long bit. Doesn't look too safe.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Why such a long bit. Doesn't look too safe.
    Its the only ball nose I have at the moment. I don't want to cut the shaft short since it has its uses at that length. I have a few bits on order waiting to arrive. If they come in early enough, I'll have bits to work with otherwise I'll be playing with this one... but slowly...

I've actually have used this one before on another project. It wasn't bad at all unless your feedrate was too high...

I like your Mach 3 screen how did you get it

Regards

Tim

Page 1 of 4 123