588,206 active members*
4,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > My simple and cheap steel desktop router

My simple and cheap steel desktop router

Here is my design for a PCB / plastic router. I am about 50% done makeing the parts. It will have a working area of 12" x 12" x 5". It is built with 1" x 1/8" square tube and 1/4" plate steel and skate bearings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg   Image2.jpg   Image3.jpg   Image4.jpg  

Image5.jpg  

Any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by fahque99 View Post
    Any comments?
    Hi,

Why are the gantry sides so high if this is for PCB and I presume plastic sheet? If you don't need the Z hight you are loosing a lot of rigidity as is.

Other than that I'm not keen on the bearing arrangement due to the very small contact area on the rail or the axial load on the bearing if plain bearings.

Are the rails tube or bar; if tube I thick they will flex to much and sag over time.

You did ask

John

I wanted the height for milling thick foam blocks. The rails are 1 inch square tube that is 1/8" thick and are only 15" long so I dont think that they will sag. I am not to sure how the bearings will hold up but if they become a problem I could make some V groove bearings. I wanted to used them with that configuration for simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by fahque99 View Post
    I wanted the height for milling thick foam blocks. The rails are 1 inch square tube that is 1/8" thick and are only 15" long so I dont think that they will sag. I am not to sure how the bearings will hold up but if they become a problem I could make some V groove bearings. I wanted to used them with that configuration for simplicity.
    In that case nice job

I'd suggest rethinking the bearing/rail setup. As it is, you're putting all weight on the edge of the bearing. You'll most likely get a groove worn into the square tube rather quickly, as well as the bearings actually getting side to side forces from the angle pushing them apart, causing premature failure.

For these kinds of setups, most people are using bearings also set at 45deg so they sit flat on the tube.

Yea i dont really trust skate bearing slides because they arnt very reliable or accurate and can make the difference between a good machine and a bad machine. Good Luck!