588,127 active members*
5,846 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > My tool paths do funky things when i draw/test them

My tool paths do funky things when i draw/test them

Ok here is another problem...

do you guys remember when you were first learning cnc and you were doing a clockwise turn/radius but put the wrong direction in.. you got a big loop going in the wrong direction...

i got this whilst testing/drawing the simulation of the toolpath on my machine.. my questuiion is this an error by me or by the post processor..

it veryfied ok when i did it in mastercam...

if i am not being specific enough just let me know

I have had this happen. If I am understanding you correctly it is not your fault or the post processor. It has to do with the way the control interprets tiny arc moves.

This seems to be more common with the Fanuc 0-M control.

You want to change your filter settings to 1:1 and I *think* you'll see some improvement by tweaking the minimum arc length in the control definition...

Ask your reseller for help with this. Hopefully somebody else can shed a bit more light on this...

When this happened to me I had the error in a Fanuc 0-M and then took the exact same g-code and ran it successfully in a newer Fanuc (16-M i think...).

thank you i will try and see if i can correct that in my settings

Isn't this because the arc centre is using absolute Dim, instead of relative?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Why would you ask this and not tell us what kind of machine/comtrol your using?

Fadals can do it if the end point is a little off. Change the centers to R instead of IJ.

Filtering can definately throw it off.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    Why would you ask this and not tell us what kind of machine/comtrol your using?

Fadals can do it if the end point is a little off. Change the centers to R instead of IJ.

Filtering can definately throw it off.

Mike Mattera
    that is a valid point....

i am "using" an acer mill .... http://www.acergroup.com/em-an3a.htm

with the anilam 3000m Controller ....

so far i have never had a problem when i try the draw function to see what the machine will do.. alas this time i got big red circles saying it was out of range/ or over limit or something

i know I should be more specifc as this would be easier for me to get answers...

anyway any help would be greatly appreciated..

MrG The Anilam is also picky about arc endpoints, But not so it wont do it. It just likes to issue errors.

So the question is "Why is the end point off?"
    You have used this post before for similar work, with good results? Which toolpath did you used (Contour, Pocket, 3D toolpaths...)? What is your tolerance set to? What version of Mastercam are you using? Are you using Filtering? Is the profile simple Lines and Arcs or splines?

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    MrG The Anilam is also picky about arc endpoints, But not so it wont do it. It just likes to issue errors.

So the question is "Why is the end point off?"
    You have used this post before for similar work, with good results? Which toolpath did you used (Contour, Pocket, 3D toolpaths...)? What is your tolerance set to? What version of Mastercam are you using? Are you using Filtering? Is the profile simple Lines and Arcs or splines?

Mike Mattera
    Hi Mike:

When i wrote this i had never had a real sucess with any of my tool paths

the other day i had a good result for the first time:

I used a paralell zig zag finish cut to test out the path on foam it worked pretty well

back to my original reason...

when i went to the draw function through the anilam machine the arcs on the first corner of teh piece went the wrong way and had a radius of 8 inches.. which i think was out of the limits of teh machine..

qrong way meaning instead of going to the point via a clock wise small arc it went counter clockwise with a giant arc which was red on the screen
    all of this in teh anilam draw function..

is it likely that this will cause an error and not work if i actually run it ??

I will take a look at the above posts and try to make a few changes and see what the results are....

i will let everyone know when i get it in the machine...

THANKS A MILLION TO ALL OF YOU GUYS WITHOUT YOU I WOULD HAVE NEVER EVER BEEN ABLE TO GET EVEN THIS FAR

I've got an idea post the results of your program on this forum and we will tell you if it will work or if it will do what the verify shows if its g code it will be pretty easy to telll what its doing. I've seen hurcos that the graphics show a huge arc when it really is a roll around the corner