588,535 active members*
4,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Mysterious Y axis move before tool change

Mysterious Y axis move before tool change

We've got a '97 3016 with a CNC88HS. We bought the machine new. Recently it began acting strange during tool changes. It happens when you call a tool change,either in Auto or MDI, and you are beyond Y-5.0" in the machine coordinate system(cold start). The head retracts to tool change height and the machine moves to Y-5.0, changes the tool and then returns to the previous position. It does this regardless of fixture offsets. It refuses to change a tool within 3" of the end of the Y axis travel. It even does this using the tool setting utility. The positive side of the Y axis is not affected. So far it has not caused any problems, just some unprogrammed moves while running programs. Has anyone seen this before?

Dave

Dave--
    This does sound very wierd. I would suggest to first try the "RI" code. Back up any needed files and/or offsets first. If that does not do the trick, I would next suggest the Zero Memory procedure. If you do not have the procedure call me at the office and I'll fax or e-mail it to you.

Neal

Thanks Neal. I've got a job running in it right now but as soon as it's done I will give that a try.I'll let you know what happens. Thanks again.

Dave