587,998 active members*
3,292 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry mystery self feeding

Hi all!

I think this is a Mach 3 problem.......... I think......

Sometimes, later in the day, usually after jogging around, one of the axis, usually the z, decides to go on a self feeded journey!

Its not the programme - because sometimes it does it when nothing is loaded, It always self feeds at the set feed rate - and can be changed by changing the feed rate .

So I thought my M3 has got corrupted - but re installing did not work for long - the problem re emerged after a couple of days.

So I thought maybe computer - installed new computer with fresh m3 download - now again, it has re emerged. happily self feeding off into the sunset.

Another stange problem that may be a clue is that occasionaly when I say MDI from Z10 ...G0 Z 15 ...it will go to Z35. Did this on both computers and M3 downloads. If I close and reopen m3 the problem goes away......but only for a while.

Any help very welcome!

Still Keen

Are you using a wireless keyboard or mouse? If so, these can sometimes do some really odd things. I found out without any damage and then swapped to old fashioned hardwired stuff. No more odd movement troubles.
    Lee

Does the Z axis DRO change when it moves on it's own? If Mach3 is causing it, the DRO will show the movement. If the DRO isn't changing, then it's probably noise in the step or direction lines.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

i have a wandering x that i cant figure out i used all shielded cable was careful to keep motor leads away from limit wires .i found that tuning down the motor helped and some times dosent do it or not as bad .before you couldnt even do a set you get it were you wanted it and about a minute or so lateer it would move about .250 and mess everything up. you can try that and see if it helps or eleviates the problem you just kind of play with the setup of the motor tuning in config.

I had somewhat similar problems until I bought an add-in parallel port card. It turned out the desktop PC's built-in parallel port was only outputting just over 3v. Add-in cards are more like 5v. I had been convinced my z axis card was faulty as substitution tests narrowed down the problem to that card. But I was wrong.
    But the feeds, although random, were always in the direction of the last Z movement and their timing was random - like a Geiger counter.
    Chris Lusby Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Does the Z axis DRO change when it moves on it's own? If Mach3 is causing it, the DRO will show the movement. If the DRO isn't changing, then it's probably noise in the step or direction lines.
    Thanks for that - I am sure the DRO shows (I mean i think i would have noticed if it did not - I will look closely next time) the speed of feed is equal to the display feed - and can be increased or decreased during its self feed.

It only does it during jogging and never during running a program - luckily!

I have had another fault with an intermittant limit switch error - showing on only one computer (of my two supply computers) with repeated tests - so i replaced its mother board. then it began to do it on both computers!

So I replaced the P port cable - so far so good. - any clues there?

Still Keen

I take it that you aren't using wireless input?
    Lee

Question

how does your DRO get its counts? I run a bed mill with its encoders on the bed, a couple of times they have gotten dirty and it keeps on going trying to find right count

Quote Originally Posted by Gary55Ford View Post
    how does your DRO get its counts? I run a bed mill with its encoders on the bed, a couple of times they have gotten dirty and it keeps on going trying to find right count
    We're talking about the software DRO's in Mach3 that display the commanded position.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi,

Make sure you do not have step and direction spindle enabled, and those pins also applied to your wandering axis.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    Are you using a wireless keyboard or mouse? If so, these can sometimes do some really odd things. I found out without any damage and then swapped to old fashioned hardwired stuff. No more odd movement troubles.
    Hard wired Lee - Could be my P Port cable though - i've just replaced it - will soon see. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gary55Ford View Post

Thanks Gary - no Encoders - open loop system.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Thanks Gerry. I am sure I would have noticed if the DRO did not change. Will double check next time it does it though. When it self feeds - it goes at exactly the displayed feed rate - and can be altered up or down.

I have another computer for backup under my Tormach. I had a fault on the X limit switch - but only showing on one computer - local computer shop said it was likely the P port on the motherboard. So he replaced the motherboard. Then it faulted on both computers! - damn! - random intermittant fault. so I have just replaced the p port cable - and so far all is well. maybe that was that? time will tell.

still keen (in small letters)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLT View Post
    I had somewhat similar problems until I bought an add-in parallel port card. It turned out the desktop PC's built-in parallel port was only outputting just over 3v. Add-in cards are more like 5v. I had been convinced my z axis card was faulty as substitution tests narrowed down the problem to that card. But I was wrong.
    But the feeds, although random, were always in the direction of the last Z movement and their timing was random - like a Geiger counter.
    Chris Lusby Taylor
    Thanks Chris - maybe something similiar - see my reply to Gerry. this self feed problem did it on both my computers though. Could it be the shuttle controller or keyboard ? - i have bought spares to put in - if it does it again. This is getting expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by woffler View Post
    i have a wandering x that i cant figure out i used all shielded cable was careful to keep motor leads away from limit wires .i found that tuning down the motor helped and some times dosent do it or not as bad .before you couldnt even do a set you get it were you wanted it and about a minute or so lateer it would move about .250 and mess everything up. you can try that and see if it helps or eleviates the problem you just kind of play with the setup of the motor tuning in config.
    Thanks - i don't think its that. It goes at the set feed rate - and just keeps going on and on until I stop it - see my other replies.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_the_welder View Post
    Hi,

Make sure you do not have step and direction spindle enabled, and those pins also applied to your wandering axis.

Dan
    Thanks Dan - On the Tormach M3 the shuttle controller takes care of the jog mode - but that could be a clue to a jog controller fault. I'm sure i would have seen that if it was in step mode during the feed by error. still i will check it if it does it again! I dont think the Tormach M3 has a spindle direction button - what screen is that on, on your
    M3?

Hi,

All that spindle stuff is on the Ports and pins, "Mill Options".

I don't know much about the Tormach shuttle, but if it uses Keygrabber I have noticed some wackiness there.

Sometime I jog and it just keeps going and that might be the Typematic settings, which I have yet to mess with.

Dan

Thanks - Tormachs m3 does not have those settings available - it is a sort of preset version. so I doubt it could be wrong.