587,747 active members*
2,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > Mentors & Apprentice Locator > Need advice on how to learn CNC basics.

Need advice on how to learn CNC basics.

Hi. I am a business owner in the San Jose area and have an interest to learn CNC machining. I am in the process of buying a Sharp VMC and will have to pay somebody to operate the machine for now. My question is this. Can someone point me in the right direction to learn the order of operations, and the path that I would need to take to learn how to CNC an item? Is there any easy way to design simple 3 axis parts, a simple way to import them to the machine, and to actually start making the parts? Please excuse my ignorance. I have done alot of searching and know that I will need to learn SolidWorks and have started doing that. But in the meantime is there a way to get started in the actual machine operation?

Thank you for your time and point in the right direction.

Help

Hi,

I sent you a PM.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

I saw you had a post - asking for someone to give you advice on learning the basics of programming. I was hoping there would be some responses.....because I've got the same question! just wanting to know what you found out, if anything? Thanks.

hack at it or hire a pro, your choice

just 2cents here and a story from 30yrs ago.

Hire a pro.
    A conventional turret production lathe shop getting a new Hardinge CNC.
    Owner making parts and wished to transition to CNC he knew zero.
    He gave me print, tools list, operation/programming manual, and trust, two weeks before final installation service release for operation.

Bottom line,
    1.5 hours after serviceman exited, we were running production making money. On followup visit his 85 yr old father was operating machine. He never went conventional again. Then he learned to program. (manual)

The question is where are you starting from?
    Been doing this too long

In my opinion if you have the interest and time then learning some information about cnc machining well only help you. Many designers could learn a lot the design by understanding the manufacturing. I am an engineer who plays with machining and cnc for a hobby. But I have noticed my design skills have gotten much better because of it.

You very much can learn to make simple 3 axis parts. To be honest the whole concept of cnc is not too overly complicated. But to give credit to those who are very skilled, a cnc programmer can make much more efficient code. A skilled cnc operator can crank out parts ten times faster then someone like me.

But if you do not have high quantities of parts or need then machined very fast you can learn to do it yourself.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and I have been able to teach myself everything I know by reading and asking a few questions. I would suggest reading about CAM software and Gcode. When you understand the basics of those you will have an idea of the work flow to take a model to production part.

Josh

Here is a shameless link to one of this sites sponsors: http://www.tormach.com/workshops.html

Although it is tailored to their machine and CAM, It will get you up to speed pretty quickly.