588,094 active members*
4,937 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Need Help!!!!!!!!

Hello,

I Have just recently converted my Little Machine Shop X2 mill to CNC
    and now i have no idea where or how to start making parts. I am using Mach3
    and i would like to use fusion 360 for can and cam. an anyone help me to at least
    run some G-Code.

Re: Need Help!!!!!!!!

So have you got your machine configured in Mach? Are your axis movements correct and reasonably accurate?

Have you run the Roadrunner within Mach?
    A lazy man does it twice.

Read the Mach3 documentation, that's the best place to start.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

Hello,

I believe that my axes are all correct. But i think that i do have some backlash on my x, I also have anti backlash helical couplings on all axes.
    my machine is too small in y to run the Roadrunner i believe. i have 7" in z, 11" in x, and 4 1/2 " or 5" in y. i do not have limit switches on my mill but i ordered some
    they should be hear on the 13th. i am also using a Gecko 540 motor controller.

Sounds good so far.
    The helical couplers are not anti backlash. But they are sufficient for the loads of your machine.
    You can use the scaling tool in Mach and make the roadrunner smaller so it can be run on your machine. Try that. Just seeing your machine run under computer control will reinvigorate your enthusiasm.
    Backlash is easy to calculate and compensate for.
    I would move an axis in 1 direction against a dial indicator. Once movement is detected on the indicator. Set your axis movement to .001" (if running in inches) press the key that moves the axis the opposite direction. Count how many times you push the key til the indicator moves again. That is the amount of backlash. Install this number in the backlash compensation dialog box for that axis, check enable backlash, hit enter and close and reopen Mach. Retest to see if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hello again,

since the last time we spoke, I have solved all my issues and am now reinvigorated. my mill was able to run the roadrunner successfully (after a few tries)
    no the only thing i need help with is a way to make my own reliable gcode for my mill. i would like to use fusion 360 for my cad and cam. if not are there is
    there any good cam software where i can import a 3d model from either solidworks or inventor or autocad(2d).

Thanks a Bunch

See YouTube for tutorials on any and all CAD/CAM. There are endless possibilities. Go for the free stuff first or trial sw. Expect some frustration along the way;-) There is plenty to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Sounds good so far.
    The helical couplers are not anti backlash. But they are sufficient for the loads of your machine.

Backlash is easy to calculate and compensate for.
    I would move an axis in 1 direction against a dial indicator. Once movement is detected on the indicator. Set your axis movement to .001" (if running in inches) press the key that moves the axis the opposite direction. Count how many times you push the key til the indicator moves again. That is the amount of backlash. Install this number in the backlash compensation dialog box for that axis, check enable backlash, hit enter and close and reopen Mach. Retest to see if it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought I understood backlash and spring windup, but I am not so sure now.

If by "helical couplers" you mean the ones with the spiral slot in them to accommodate the misallignment , I don't understand.

As I understand these, they have spring windup (a spring constant), but no backlash.

Please help me understand them.

Don

Don, In my understanding load could create different amounts spring wind up depending on engagement for example. In my case or expected results they are sufficient but I dont believe they are to be considered anti backlash couplers. But I have been wrong before. I have also broken those kind before. Not that it means anything. Why else do you learn to repair things?

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiodi View Post
    hello again,

since the last time we spoke, I have solved all my issues and am now reinvigorated. my mill was able to run the roadrunner successfully (after a few tries)
    no the only thing i need help with is a way to make my own reliable gcode for my mill. i would like to use fusion 360 for my cad and cam. if not are there is
    there any good cam software where i can import a 3d model from either solidworks or inventor or autocad(2d).

Thanks a Bunch
    I use Fusion 360 for CAD, but then I export the sketches as DXF and use my old Cut2D. I only do this because I am familiar with Cut2D and the Fusion360 CAM is new to me. But, I did some experiments with Fusion 360 CAM, and did not find it too bad. Little complex, but has good potential for me.

So, are you really cutting 3D objects, or like me - really cutting 2D, from a 3D model? If its the latter then there are a number of options for 2D(ish) CAM.

Fastest1
    I do see them as a wind up spring, but I don't see any lost motion (until they break).

They are definitely the weakest spring in the ballscrew path.

Don

Maybe not lost motion but varying due to load. That could change the dimensions of the part. It wouldnt be detectable in a backlash test.

My biggest reason for not using them was they would bond to the stepper shaft and I couldnt ever remove them without breaking them.