588,626 active members*
6,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Need Help Deciding on Machine

Hybrid View

Need Help Deciding on Machine

I want to purchace a small milling machine soon to machine 6061 aluminum for car and motorcycle parts. I have been looking at the Microproto (Taig) DSLS system with the 4th axis. Recently someone I was talking to said that an x2 or x3 with a cnc conversion kit would be better for me and for aroundd the same price. just wanted to see what people had to say about these machines and if there are others im missing. Im looking at spending around $4500. also I am looking for a cad/cam software and have been deciding between bodcad/cam or partmaster pro. Any advice on these would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by EHengineering View Post
    I want to purchace a small milling machine soon to machine 6061 aluminum for car and motorcycle parts. I have been looking at the Microproto (Taig) DSLS system with the 4th axis. Recently someone I was talking to said that an x2 or x3 with a cnc conversion kit would be better for me and for aroundd the same price. just wanted to see what people had to say about these machines and if there are others im missing. Im looking at spending around $4500. also I am looking for a cad/cam software and have been deciding between bodcad/cam or partmaster pro. Any advice on these would be much appreciated.
    You'll probably have to be more specific, how big are the parts?
    One offs or small runs?
    On the cad/cam side, it's as much what you're used to, and what you need to get done, and how much you want to spend.

I like CAMBAM for CAM, it's simple and pretty much does what I need, though it has no 4th axis support. I use VIA CAD for CAD, but I liked Alibre when I looked at it, and my first choice would be Solid Works but I won't spend what it costs.
    Rhino CAM is really nice to use, if you can live with the interface.
    But honestly decide what you need and try the demo versions.

The machining envelope of the Taig DSLS system will work fine for what im doing and i know the x3 has a bigger work area anyways. The parts will be one off prototypes and then small runs.