587,178 active members*
3,951 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Help With My New Build

Hi All,

I have decided to start my build again using better quality materials. I tried an MDF build, or most of it, but it became too heavy for what I want to build.

If any of you think I might be going down the wrong track, feel free to tell me.

The router will be for MDF cutting mostly, with perhaps some aluminium occasionally, depending on the result of the build.

I have found I have been designing too much and getting nothing built. It will be 1500mm long and 1000mm wide, with a moving Gantry.

Because I have access to welding, cutting and the supply of quality material at very good prices, I am going to start with a frame from 100mm X 50mm Aluminium tube, 3mm wall, with several cross members in both directions, depending on the Welder.

Will this size tube be strong enough for the frame? Will 50mm wide aluminium be suitable to mount a Linear rail on, or should it be strengthened by the addition of some thicker flat aluminium before bolting the rail on?

Would the rail be better fitted to the side of the frame? So many questions.

I am planning on using the better quality material where I can (read 'until I go over the budget').

This means starting with Linear Rails for the Gantry to run on. I will then go with bearings I can afford for the other areas, while planning for the installation of quality bearings on the other 2 Axes as I can afford it.

I have a price for linear Rails from Linear Components here in Melbourne. Are there any better prices around?

Because of the availability of Aluminium at work, I have decided it will be the best material for me for the entire frame.

I am expecting to use a Stepper on each side of the X rail (or is the main rail the Y rail?) instead of 1 in the centre, although I am not sure whether to buy a kit in Australia or the US. That will depend on price.

I am hoping to include a Plenum under the cutting table and will be hoping to install some form of suction chamber to hold the work down. This is still part of the wish list.

Not sure what size Steppers would suit such a machine, but I am expecting to use at least 495 oz-in.

As I said earlier, if anyone thinks I am heading in the wrong direction, or has any input at all, I would welcome it.

I have been on the internet a lot lately, but there are so many options, it becomes difficult to decide which is best.

The overall concept I have, is to start building, using the best components I can afford for the most important areas, then use what I need to elsewhere, until I can replace the not so good bits.

I live in St. Albans, Melbourne.

Sorry about the length of this Post, but I do tend to go on a bit sometimes.

Thanks,

Albert

Hi Albert,

Good to hear that you are starting a build again..

Can't offer much help but mine is all alloy and only 900mm X 600mm cutting area. Linear bearings and rails would be better bought in China these days.

Go over to http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...play.php?f=170 and ask Rod or Greolt about them
    Cheers, Bob
    http://www.ocm.com.au/wordpress/

Aluminium frame

I too am still at the thinking about it stage. My current thinking is to have an aluminium frame as you suggest then I am hoping to make up carriages from aluminium stock using skate bearings. These would run on rails consisting of cold rolled steel maybe 100x6mm mounted to the side of the square aluminium tube. One carriage on top and one below, tied across the bottom and also on the sides with the sides of the gantry, with the drive nuts mounted on the cross tie. I would prefer to use two steppers for the main axis because of the weight and the fact that I already have a set of five lower fower steppers. Speed will not be an issue for me. I have been wondering whether it would be practical to use aluminium for the rails as the bearings would have full width contact with rolling action. If I use aluminium then maybe I would increase the size to give more rigidity. I am in Mulgrave and would be interested in having a chat about how to proceed if you are interested send me a pm.
    Regards
    Don