588,069 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Need help...still noob and don't understand

Need help...still noob and don't understand

Ok guys I'm using Surfcam 2004. I'm really noob to this software and I'm trying to 3d this mold, I get so far and then the software cuts on both side of the contour I want to make...show me what I'm doing wrong. I'm attaching the file. Any pointers would be much appreciated...basically if I'm shown once. I'll know it for life.
    Attached Files Attached Files

a little bit more info would be helpful, I can't see what your talking about.

the outlet ends I've figured out I did a steep shallow cut to get those done...now the bigger cutout near the bottom of the part I've got the sides profiled but need to figure out how to clear out the bottom.

what your missing is a boundary curve, imagine you have a 12" cube, 1 cubic foot of metal, the top is Z zero. you want to stay inside, make a line, rectangle, 2 endpoints, and draw this just inside your cube, at z zero, now when using z rough, or most other paths, check the boundary curve, when you are selecting your elements to machine, it will ask you to select your boundary curve (box, circle,whatever) now, surfcam will ignore the outside of your mold

lol, actually z rough requires a boundary curve, hehe inside joke, but paths like planar or z finish this is an option box

ok i actually looked at your part now, (had to put velocity demo on my home comp) make the 'line box' just inside, if you need those grooves to also be complete, make 3 more rectangles around them, then trim them into the original box, these need to be over 1/2 your cutter dia.

so youll have a box in which 3 portions of sides jut out for a little bit. does that make sense? hmm, ill try to do this for ya in demo mode, at least i think i can print a screenshot if not a file. good luck

http://www.hidebehind.com/2BEA2B72 is what i would do

your z-rough looks good so im not sure im of any help

or 3d view of part

http://www.hidebehind.com/10681140

any other questions? heh great fun for the evening, i was bored

amm, what am i missing? his z finish and z rough is not starting at the top, he has not forced it down with a max Z level?. (tool offset?) can i assume this is not a primary rough and tools are actually offsetted lower?

4140 Pre Hard, the hardest substance known to man

if you cant machine the bottom as a pocket, you can use planar, 3 axis cut, steep shallow with the steep option clicked off, or you can program a pocket that fits the bottom of the mold and use 3 axis "project"

Thanks everyone for the input...I was able to create the mold fairly efficently..lol. It's just really frustrating when you work with a software program that you've never used and you've got deadlines to meet. I will definately add all of these options into my future efforts. I want to use the software to it's fullest potential. It was actually made out of delrin....so slamming an endmill into it isn't a big deal...hehe

hehe delrin !

lol its cool, i used that stuff in the late 90's (a black plastic of a machinable grade) lucky you! i'll wager to guess its for the camera industry

aah i miss delrin, those days gone by when mat'l flexes a bit,

ppl i need some more problems to solve! IM BORED come on, want z rough answers? or 3d cut? im so bored sry i dont do srm or true mill

4140 pre hard, the hardest subtance known to man, exept for inconel, monel, hasteloy, and secret government crap.

actually I'm making submarine and rov parts...how cool is that? So far everything is aluminum or plastic. But they know I can machine any material, they're starting to talk titanium.

Thumbs up Surfcam Training Materials

Does anyone know of a good text for Surfcam?

"maximizing surfcam" is the name of the book I used in school in the late nineties. I went through all the exercises and came out proficient in 2d and introduced to 3d. The book walks you through from the basics and progressively gets more advanced. You draw the part and in the next chapter you program the part. I didn't end up using surfcam on the job until about 2003 but I jumped right in and got productive fast. I've heard people rag on it but it made good sense to me. I think it cost $118.00 back then.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by championp View Post
    "maximizing surfcam" is the name of the book I used in school in the late nineties. I went through all the exercises and came out proficient in 2d and introduced to 3d. The book walks you through from the basics and progressively gets more advanced. You draw the part and in the next chapter you program the part. I didn't end up using surfcam on the job until about 2003 but I jumped right in and got productive fast. I've heard people rag on it but it made good sense to me. I think it cost $118.00 back then.

Chris
    I have that one too, by Dr. Jonathon Lin. It would be nice if they did a revision to the current software. I think my book is for ver. 7.

ok going to have a few questions soon. I'll be making a submarine prop. I'll get it zipped up and post it. I'll need a lot of help. I'm sure.

ok added.....I hope I did it right. Now the big question..where to begin?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Exclamation Surfcam Training

YEP, SURFCAM 2000, S C JONATHON LIN, ISBN 1-886552-14-2
    MECHANICAL ENGINEERING CLASS FOR NC MACHINERY
    WE'RE BREAKING IN A HAAS TM-1, AND WE HAVE SURFCAM VELOCITY.
    SO FAR I'VE GOTTEN THROUGH THE SURFCAM "GETTING STARTED" PDF. BORING.

I HOPE THIS BOOK IS BETTER.

BTW, DIRECT FROM THE PUBLISHER, GROUP RATE FOR 10 WAS $80 EACH
    I GOT A BUNCH OF STUDENTS TO BUY TOGETHER SO WE COULD SAVE ON INDIVIDUAL SHIPPING.

ANY INTERRESTED IN PURCHASING THIS BOOK, I WILL KNOW OF 10 THAT ARE UP FOR SALE IN APRIL. THEY GOT FOR $100+ ON EBAY.
    [email protected]:withstupi

SORRY FOR THE CAPS, I'M LAZY.
    Ken Barra, Manufacturing/Design Engineer
    SpinalDevices, LLC

ok if you looked at my last post. Do you think that part is doable with just 4th axis or is it just wishful thinking. I did the top part of the prop no problem...it's the backside that's gonna kill me.