588,434 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need info on Hardinge Superslant SB-3GN CNC Turning Center

Question Need info on Hardinge Superslant SB-3GN CNC Turning Center

Does anybody know any info on the CNC. The owner of my company just bought
    a used one and now I am trying to figure out its capabilities. I have researched online and found the basic specs. I am trying to determine if it has live tooling. Also, what kind of the tooling the turret works with. Any info at all on this machine would be great.

Have you tried getting in touch with Hardinge Brothers? They are in Elmira, NY. Phone number 1-800-424-2440. BTW, get one of their manual's for the machine if possible. Their manuals are the easiest to understand of all the various ones I've looked at. Provided you speak English, of course. They have helped me with machines we bought used.

Cool, thanks for the info.

I have one. If you call and talk with parts, they still have complete manuals for programing and service.
    They also have the "teach series" Comes with complete manuals, cassette tapes, and a vhs tape. (you may not be old enough to know some of those terms lol)
    You can stop both tapes and go step by step with tool offsets and programing a part. Only $210. as I remember.

One thing I have found is you could order these a lot of different ways so you could have anything. Mine is a 3 axis machine with a lower turret.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails superslant turret.JPG  

Kool Parts, I am assuming you bought yours used. This is going to be the first CNC lathe that I will have to set up from scratch. Our existing one was set up by an employee that no longer works here. What kind of headache am getting into. Is the initial set up, balancing, centering etc. better to just call a tech in on?

I was in the same boat, witch is why I bought the teach series. As far as setup goes they are pretty easy, no adjustment or leveling legs. Just a 3 point casting.

When I called for some parts and the manuals I asked the guy about it... turns out that he was on the production floor when these were being built.
    The company I got it from bought it new...they claimed that you could machine parts in the driveway as well as the shop floor....He confirmed that, and said that was part of the engineering of the castings.

That said... the teach series would save you a ton of time, as it goes into the unloading off the truck down to running a part.
    Gary

Thanks Gary,

I think you just sold me on the teach series.. Hey, I think you should get
    commission on that!

Smile Do you still have the TEACH SERIES

Quote Originally Posted by Kool Parts View Post
    I have one. If you call and talk with parts, they still have complete manuals for programing and service.
    They also have the "teach series" Comes with complete manuals, cassette tapes, and a vhs tape. (you may not be old enough to know some of those terms lol)
    You can stop both tapes and go step by step with tool offsets and programing a part. Only $210. as I remember.

One thing I have found is you could order these a lot of different ways so you could have anything. Mine is a 3 axis machine with a lower turret.
    We have a SB G 3N Superslant 1986 model that we just purchased used. I seems like it is going to be a great machine, and i got it for pennies cheap. It's only missing one thing and that is the owners manual. With it being an 86 we will eventually need it. Would you like to sale your teach series to us? $210 isn't a bad price, but i am always up for a bargain.