587,790 active members*
3,335 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need Suggestions for Reliable CAD-to-Gcode Software

Hey everyone. New to this forum, but I'm looking for some direction to head since my company is currently searching for alternatives to our current software.

Background: We are using SolidNest to convert our SolidWorks drawings to g-code for use on our Aerotech stages. We laser cut holes and various other shapes in thin sheet metal - features range from 5 microns to 1 mm. We are utilizing double-pulse laser machining with air assist.

70% of the time, SolidNest does a great job of nesting multiple copies of a part I create, but it's the time that it crashes and won't recognize certain features that it should, such as the fact that I've been drilling 10um holes for a year and yesterday it decided to not recognize them at all anymore.

I'm wondering what you guys use and how robust your platforms are. I am in need of something that will easily import SolidWorks drawings, nest them, and allow me numerous process controls for cutting. Thanks for any input!

RJ

MasterCam

Care to expand a bit? I've researched (and previously used on Haas CNC mills) Mastercam, but am yet to find a branch of the software that has the specialty features needed for laser machining:

i.e... pierce points versus contours, dwell time variation, laser on/off functions rather than tool ramping and depth-motions, multi-pass options (we do upwards of 80 passes to cut a 150um hole in 500um thick material - makes a much cleaner edge), laser waste diameter adjustments (basically a kerf dimension)... These are all features that aren't readily found in traditional cad/cam software; unless I'm missing something, in which case please alert me.

Granted, I do not think MasterCam is a turnkey solution. But I think all of your points can be addressed, even in the mill environment. You mostly were indicating reliable for nesting. I think MasterCam handles nesting very well.

pierce points versus contours - Toolpath > To Point

dwell time variation - (Is this a factor of material thickness?) - Customized post processor

laser on/off functions rather than tool ramping and depth-motions - M03/M05 - Customized post processor

multi-pass options (we do upwards of 80 passes to cut a 150um hole in 500um thick material - makes a much cleaner edge) - Process > Multipass

laser waste diameter adjustments (basically a kerf dimension) - Process > Tool offset

You do bring up a very valid point for every one of those issues... I guess a little post-processing goes a long way... My final worry is the accuracy or refinement of the program.

We hold tolerances to within +/- 2um. Most of this software are able to handle 100's of micron refinement, but choke when exposed to the dimensions and tolerances we handle. Any experience with the level of refinement in Mastercam?

Is 8 decimal places enough?

Our software currently has 8 decimal places to USE... But at that level, it turns circles into hexagons, 90-degree turns for less than 10um become not a turn at all, but just a re-path, and other small-feature phenomena. Just because the place holders are there, doesn't necessarily mean it can still maintain it's resolution at that level. UNLESS anyone here has had experience creating micron level features with no resolution drop.

I'll probably be contacting Mastercam and asking about some demo software to see what we can do. Thanks for your help guys, and I'll still keep checking for any other suggestions or people working on similar projects.

Thanks
    RJ

You can take a look at WE-CIM that has true shape nesting and is more for punch/laser/plasma machines. Welcome

JetCam is the only other one I would take a look at.

Independent CNC Programmer

www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.