588,126 active members*
5,586 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Networking problems

Hi all,
    we have a VM-2 at work, and we had it set up so that the mill could read from a shared folder on my pc. It was less than ideal but it worked.

However they changed the network form workgroup to domain based and now we can't get it to work.

Since we have two CAM seats working with TDM (team data management) on a server, I would like the controller to see that server directly.

Cna anyone help with the settings?

Nikolas

Nikolas,

You need to go to your domain administrator. He/she will need to perform 3 tasks:

1. Add all of the effected PCs to the domain.
    2. Create a directory on the file server for your files, then share that directory to all (or specific) users in the domain.
    3. For each user that needs access to that directory, map a drive letter to the share just created.

Regards,
    John

More then likely there is an authentictation problem that can be cured in one of two ways. However I am not familiar with your network, or VM-2 controllers, so this is just an educated guess.

#1 - Change the network settings of the CNC controller so that it has an account in the new domain, and it logs into the domain at startup. Then change it's account settings so that it is authenticating the shared folder using your domain account and password instead of the workgroup method.

#2 - Verify that a local, non-domain account that has permission to access the shared folder still exists on the PC. If was erased in the domain migration, recreate a new one. Make sure that the account is local to the PC, and not a domain account.

Your system admin (hopefully) can assist you with implementing whichever of these two methods best fits.

Ed

Here is how to set up a network connection between your Laptop and the VF1:

1 . Setting up your laptop ( I am going to explain with win xp , Millenium is exactly the same but some of the icons are in slightly different places )

when you go to the Control panel if it says pick a category and has a blue screen. up the top left click switch to classic view
    I hope this makes sense I would suggest print this off and just follow it step by step if your not computer literate don't bother reading it because it will probably sound confusing

Press start then controle pannel and then double click on user accounts. and Create a new account

Type in the name of the new account HAAS make sure HAAS is in capital letters, because the default on the machine is capital letters. Then press NEXT.

Pick an account type click COMPUTER ADMINISTRATOR. Then click CREATE ACCOUNT. You will now see the new account and you have to give it a password.

click on the HAAS account click on CREATE PASSWORD type in HAAS as the password MAKE SURE IT IS IN CAPITAL LETTERS confirm password HAAS again and in hint it doesn't matter what you put in here

put in HAAS click ok and x the account window

That's that bit done.

You should be still in the control panel and should see NETWORK CONNECTIONS on the next line up DOUBLE CLICK ON IT.

you should see LOCAL AREA CONNECTION double click on it scroll down till you see PROTOCOL TCP/IP Double Click on it.

Click USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS. in IP ADDRESS 192.168.1.1 and in SUBNET MASK 255.255.255.0 and in DEFAULT GATEWAY 192.168.1.254

and click ok. The laptop might want to restart click cancel or later.

Nearly there, you should be still in the control panel on the bottom line you should see SYSTEM Double click on it, COMPUTER NAME click CHANGE type in in Capital letters in COMPUTER NAME type

in LAPTOP and in WORKGROUP type in DOMAIN click ok, you have to let the laptop restart this time.When it starts up again go to your c drive and create a folder called programs right click on the folder click

shearing then click share this folder on the network and allow network users to change my files click apply and then ok. stick a few files into the folder and that's it

At last to the machine ( I'm typing this from memory so I will probably get some of the headings in the VF1 wrong but should be close enough )

IP 192.168.1.2 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1 User name HAAS password HAAS Server Name LAPTOP Directory PROGRAMS ( workgroup or Domain) DOMAIN

DNS SERVER 192.168.1.254 stick in a crossover lead into laptop and machine and restart the HAAS and happy days