587,108 active members*
4,189 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 9 of 18 7891011

Re: New 2x4 Saturn build

Looks great and is that a touch screen?
    Retired Master Electrician, HVAC/R Commercial. FLA Saturn 2 4x4 CNC Router Mach4 Kimber 1911 45ACP

Nice job on the frame and assembly.
    Where did you pick up the Z axis cable chain?
    Saturn 2 4848
    CRP Plug & Play NEMA 34, 2.2kw Spindle, Mach3

Looks good, Dan. Just a suggestion but on future videos remove the dust shoe, turn off the shop vac, and let us see the bit cutting. Yes, you'll have a mess to clean up but we'll enjoy the video so much more. I know, each time I shoot a video I have a ton of chips to clean up.

David
    David
    Romans 3:23
    Etsy shop opened 12/1/17 - CurlyWoodShop

Quote Originally Posted by wmgeorge View Post
    Looks great and is that a touch screen?

Yes, Centroid requires one. If you're ever looking to upgrade for a new controller don't hesitate to make the switch. The Acorn is so professional and it has been relatively simple. I have zero cnc experience aside from having lots of parts machined for me and watching machines run at my guys shops. The things you can do with the forum help are pretty amazing. Once my machine is a 100% I'll do a video that goes over everything I have done and all the things Cnc12 is controlling.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by micknm View Post
    Nice job on the frame and assembly.
    Where did you pick up the Z axis cable chain?
    I ordered the cable chain off of Amazon and I made the cover and brackets that it attaches to. It was super simple and works perfect.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
    Looks good, Dan. Just a suggestion but on future videos remove the dust shoe, turn off the shop vac, and let us see the bit cutting. Yes, you'll have a mess to clean up but we'll enjoy the video so much more. I know, each time I shoot a video I have a ton of chips to clean up.

David
    I'll do that in the next video David. And thank you for the compliment.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Ntl View Post
    Still have a ways to go but here's a little test cut video. Turn the volume down, I still need to build a enclosure for my shop vac and move it to a permanent space. It's loud!
    Beich''en test Dan.
    The results look promising. Came really close to that screw though.
    Don't you have a spoilboard to make.
    BTW: I'm your first subscriber.!

Later.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by PLJack View Post
    Beich''en test Dan.
    The results look promising. Came really close to that screw though.
    Don't you have a spoilboard to make.
    BTW: I'm your first subscriber.!

Later.
    Jack.
    Oh no screw, it was just one of the blocks that held the router down. The holes used to have screws in them lol. And yes on the spoil board, I still need to bolt it down and surface it then make my t-slot top. But before I do anything else I need to do the course and fine adjustments. I've been working on setting up my tooling and it's a pita since the wood bit manufacturers don't give you any info besides the max rpm. I don't understand why they don't have calculators like the metal tool companies do, or at least give you a conservative starting point for a few types of wood.

Anyway thanks for subscribing I'll do the same for your channel!

Dan

So I finally drew up my table top, now I just need to make sure this is how I want it and get to work on cutting and pasting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181229_160825.jpg  

I don't understand why they don't have calculators like the metal tool companies do, or at least give you a conservative starting point for a few types of wood.
    Anyway thanks for subscribing I'll do the same for your channel!
    Dan
    Never used it but I hear good things: https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-rout...ds-calculator/

Never used it but I hear good things: https://www.cnccookbook.com/cnc-rout...ds-calculator/
    I actually have the trial version since I've seen a lot of people rave about it as well. So far trying it, I guess it's helpful? You still really need to know most of the info. Try it out it's free, maybe I'm not using it correctly.

I made a little progress today, I made a spindle mount for my dial indicator so I can do the fine adjustments for my machine. I got the z axis done and it's dead on from my math settings. I'm hoping the x and y are on point as well, so far I'm super happy with the control software it works fantastic.

Here's a picture of the dial indicator mount, it works and was super cheap and easy to make.

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181230_165952.jpg   20181230_191455.jpg  

So I started on the table top today here's a couple pics, I didn't get much done but at least it's started.

Here's a picture of the dial indicator mount, it works and was super cheap and easy to make.
    Dan

Now that is cool!. Well done.
    Jack.

So I started on the table top today here's a couple pics, I didn't get much done but at least it's started.
    Good start.
    Is that a tap in the drill?
    Are you tapping new holes or cleaning the ones that are there?
    Jack.

Good start.
    Is that a tap in the drill?
    Are you tapping new holes or cleaning the ones that are there?
    Jack.
    Yes it's a tap, I ran it threw the holes on the frame. I learned my lesson a long time ago when threading bolts into holes I didn't tap. Plus the holes weren't plugged prior to paint from the manufacturer I'm just cleaning up the threads considering the issues I've had with some of the qc from the manufacturer. I think I'm going to to get ballsy and use the machine to do the holes it can reach as well as the second piece that goes on top.

We'll see how long it takes since doing it by hand is pretty fast now that I have the two ends of the table done and I ran my laser across the bed and the holes are close enough that if I oversize my holes and run washers I should be fine.

I see what someone was talking about on the deflection of the MDF, now the 60 holes make sense as does the two layers of 3/4" MDF and the amount of z axis clearance. He really did do a good job with the design of the router and I hope that the issues I've had with the build are over with and the router holds up and cuts well. Time will tell and at least now I know how to completely disassemble and reassemble the entire router and the electronics as well since I built 100% of the controller down to fabricating the enclosure from scratch. So far I'm extremely happy with how it's turning out.

Here's a picture of the T-track I'm using.

Thank you for the encouragement and info,

Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190101_211221.jpg  

Some more progress today.

Looks like you are making good progress.

Obviously, I am not very observant as I just noticed that you started your build out with a steel gantry and now you have a aluminum gantry. Can you give me a short summary as to why that is or point me to a spot in the thread that talks about why?

So I got the second piece of the top drilled out today should have it close to finished tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190103_190228.jpg  

ericks Guest

So I got the second piece of the top drilled out today should have it close to finished tomorrow.
    Good work!!

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Good work!!
    Thanks Erick!

Page 9 of 18 7891011