588,648 active members*
6,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 3 123
    Just FYI -
    At the CNC workshop there was talk of a both a tool holder exchange program and also a possible service to put the groves in existing holders. I was also told the geometry needed for the grove (but didn't write it down) - hardest part would be cutting thru the hardened outer skin of the holder.

So I expect that by the time the changer is released, getting groves in holders won't be an impediment to people wanting to buy a changer.

Dave

Adapter rings to add the groove to existing TTS holders

Rather than spec the existing TTS holder OD with a groove cut into it, if the new TTS-ATC spec was changed to expand the OD to add enough material for an adapter ring which contains the groove to be press-fit over existing tools, then we could easily salvage a lot of investment. I can't think of a reason to restrict the new TTS-ATC spec to the current OD precisely - none of my tooling interacts with anything else on that surface during the course of my work anyhow. I have a number of custom TTS conversion rings I'd need to replace or make custom adapter rings for, but that'd be OK so long as I could salvage my collection of existing Tormach-sourced toolholders without much more investment. I'm getting tired of buying toolholders!

And BTW, I certainly plan to purchase the ATC as soon as possible. It's looking good, Tormach! Now how about a nice wireless digitizing probe to go into that ATC, which costs ~$250 or less? I love using my existing Tormach ruby probe, except for the price being 6x what it should be! I'll help you with the electronics to make the wireless link happen, if you need it. A number of simple probe designs are being produced and sold for < $200 right now, and I think you could easily accomplish the same along with some inexpensive electronics for the wireless link, so the probe can always live in the ATC. Having opened up and repaired my probe more times than I care to admit (I like to experiment with my gcode :-) I realize what a relatively simple task it could be to domestically produce a superior probe for less money. I think every CNC machine user should have a quality probing solution well-integrated into their workflow, because the potential for efficiency and quality gains as compared to using more manual locating and in-process metrology methods are significant. I'd even venture a bet that providing a low-cost digitizing probe and tool offset sensor with every machine would drive additional machine sales as the user base realizes notably better average productivity returns on their investments.

Very cool if the ATC isn't half the price of the machine though......

I bought a Novakon, and would love to have a ATC. But I guess the reality is, that if the ATC unit costs almost half of a new machine, that would be a real drag.

Though I would probably buy it still

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    I bought a Novakon...

" I'd even venture a bet that providing a low-cost digitizing probe and tool offset sensor with every machine would drive additional machine sales as the user base realizes notably better average productivity returns on their investments".

Most definently!

Any updates ?

I'd definitely be interested if it held over 20 tools, but not sure if that would fit.

For me it falls in the "cool" category but it wouldn't add to my productivity. The power drawbar is another matter. It would significantly help my work-flow.

I agree that at $4K I'd be better off buying a second machine. I think the sweet-spot for the Tormach is prototype and small volume production. Once you spend the money to make it into a full blown production machine you may as well have just bought one to begin with.

20 tools would be too much weight for the spindle colum. 9 tools will be plenty for me so I'm happy

My work with the Tormach is limited production and prototyping. I got a huge increase in productivity with the low cost addition of the Power Draw Bar. For my work the Power Draw Bar does 95% of what an ATC would do for way less $$. For me TTS tooling and the Power Draw Bar were a very cost effective solution to limited production and prototyping.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by HLF Ordnance View Post
    20 tools would be too much weight for the spindle colum. 9 tools will be plenty for me so I'm happy
    Too much weight? I have 20 hanging off the side of my electrical box on my 770

"20 tools would be too much weight for the spindle colum. 9 tools will be plenty for me so I'm happy"

They hang the heavy arm + 24 pcs of tooling on all of their machines and I've even seen some people with two setups, problem I see is no room being circular. Maybe if it was some sort of rectangle shaped design, kind of like a motorized tie holder. Or interchangeable drums...

However I strongly agree with Don and will soon be getting one of those DB soon if everything works out with my business. I can see the DB speeding things up pretty fast, as well as owning a probe which I'm waiting for.

Hey Don what kind/size compressor are you using and how well does it work out ?

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post

I have one of these and it has worked great for the last three years: Shop Kobalt 80-Gallon Two Stage Cast Iron Industrial Air Compressor at Lowes.com http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Compressor.jpg

Don

Add-ons

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    My work with the Tormach is limited production and prototyping. I got a huge increase in productivity with the low cost addition of the Power Draw Bar. For my work the Power Draw Bar does 95% of what an ATC would do for way less $$. For me TTS tooling and the Power Draw Bar were a very cost effective solution to limited production and prototyping.

Don
    I agree the DB was a very positive improvement on machining times. And I believe the Tool changer will be more of a time saver since I don't need to be at the machine when tool change time happens. I currently make runs of as many as a dozen parts using as many as nine tools. This will let me do second ops or assembly while the machine runs and changes tools!
    Bring on the ATC.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post

In regards to the PDB I just use a small wall mounted compressor and it only kicks on after I use the PDB quite a few times.

Any further news on the ATC?

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any more news on when the automatic tool changer ( ATC ) will be available?

Tormach PCNC 1100 is looking good for a very near future purchase, but I need the ATC so I'm not tied to the machine for light production work.

Andy
    Andy M.

ATC

Cool idea but what if you have tall components?
    Load it full of jobber drills and taps and see how much Z height clearence you have.
    You will have to slide the X axis over to clear the tool change.
    Equally if you have your fourth axis on there will be issues of tool clearence.
    Cheers

New blog post is up, and it looks like the ATC is almost ready for beta testing. No word on pricing yet.

I still have the following question:

1) An ATC is about leaving the machine unattended.

2) Commercial machines have closed loop and other features that stop the machine in the event that something is going wrong.

3) What automatic safety features are to be included with the Tormach ATC to stop your machine from trying to eat itself.

Maybe this is the reason for the delay.

Just a thought.

Phil

PS: The stuff that I do wouldn't justify an ATC, but it is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    1) An ATC is about leaving the machine unattended.

2) Commercial machines have closed loop and other features that stop the machine in the event that something is going wrong.

Phil

PS: The stuff that I do wouldn't justify an ATC, but it is cool.
    Phil: Good points and I agree that an ATC would be cool. IMO the Power Draw Bar gets me to 99% of the utility of an ATC. BTW I don't leave my machine unattended for extended periods and don't really want to.

Don

Wink ATC tool changer

OK guys

I have put $4k aside and earmarked for the ATC already.

Bring it on please.

It does move the machine a little beyond "hobby" and into the
    realm of "semi-pro" and some guys will have to scrimp and save
    to get the sheckels together.

I believe it will be worthit.

I see to recall something about the carousel being swoppable which
    means you can cahng a carousel rather then each individual tool.

It means that tools may need to be duplicated in two carousels so that
    one does not end up swopping pointlessly.

So 2 caousels may mean effectively a 15 tool changer etc.

Tony

Page 2 of 3 123