587,758 active members*
4,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > New to bobcad v22 help opening file?
Page 1 of 2 12

Question New to bobcad v22 help opening file?

Hey guys I am new to bobcad and cam programming I have solidworks 2008 and have saved my part as an XT file and every time I open it in bobcad v22 I get an error and bobcad shuts down? I do have the latest build of v22 what do I do?

".sldprt" is BobCads Solidworks importer. Not familiar with solidworks so dont know what an XT file is. Maybe someone else?

Bueller.....Bueller?

Question

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    ".sldprt" is BobCads Solidworks importer. Not familiar with solidworks so dont know what an XT file is. Maybe someone else?

Bueller.....Bueller?
    Ok I just exported it as an iges file and was able to open it up now having trouble with tool paths alot of inside pockest with holes 4th axis out or round stock but I am just indexing this part my problem is getting a tool path that will work it needs to go from the end of the part and finish this part in 1/2" at a time in full because it sticks out of the 4th 5 inches I am useing a 1/2" cutter the stock is 2" round the part is 3/4" tall but the first milling is 1.25 from top of stock it is an offset part kind of like a z____ shape. When I run the tool path the entire system shuts down?

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Quote Originally Posted by Coolster View Post
    Hey guys I am new to bobcad and cam programming I have solidworks 2008 and have saved my part as an XT file and every time I open it in bobcad v22 I get an error and bobcad shuts down? I do have the latest build of v22 what do I do?
    I have the best luck with .sat files from SW into v22. Large files load quickly.
    Don't know about v23.

Good luck,
    moldmker

Quote Originally Posted by moldmker View Post
    I have the best luck with .sat files from SW into v22. Large files load quickly.
    Don't know about v23.

Good luck,
    moldmker
    Doesnt V22 import solidworks files???

For Coolster, can you post a file to help explain? It's kindof hard from a forum description.

Burr

Doesnt V22 import solidworks files???

For Coolster, can you post a file to help explain? It's kindof hard from a forum description.

Burr
    Had no problem opening an iges file but everyother time I try a new tool path it shuts down? The entire software shuts down? I am calling bobcad today I have to get this working it is going to put me in a crunch if i dont get this part running within a few days. I will try to post the file tionight.

Doesnt V22 import solidworks files???.....
    Yes, but if the model is complicated it takes a long time to load. Some I've aborted after 30 mins.
    Convert it to .sat and it loads in 5 secs.
    (my observation on my system, never confirmed on other systems)

Also, SW has different Configurations that can be applied to it's model. This is an engineering tool that allows a model to be configured in different states, such as: with or without holes (or just a certain hole), castings "as cast" and "as machined", sheetmetal parts "as bent" and "flat pattern", etc.
    When you import a .sldprt into BC there's no opportunity to select which Configuration you want, so you get them all combined in one model.
    Save it as a dumb solid (.sat, .igs, .stp) and it saves as the current config.

I got burnt once by a hole pattern mix-up, I don't chance it anymore.
    If you're getting SW models from customers without prints, you may want to get SW's free viewer called eDrawings so you can verify model configurations.

moldmker

Question

Quote Originally Posted by moldmker View Post
    Yes, but if the model is complicated it takes a long time to load. Some I've aborted after 30 mins.
    Convert it to .sat and it loads in 5 secs.
    (my observation on my system, never confirmed on other systems)

Also, SW has different Configurations that can be applied to it's model. This is an engineering tool that allows a model to be configured in different states, such as: with or without holes (or just a certain hole), castings "as cast" and "as machined", sheetmetal parts "as bent" and "flat pattern", etc.
    When you import a .sldprt into BC there's no opportunity to select which Configuration you want, so you get them all combined in one model.
    Save it as a dumb solid (.sat, .igs, .stp) and it saves as the current config.

I got burnt once by a hole pattern mix-up, I don't chance it anymore.
    If you're getting SW models from customers without prints, you may want to get SW's free viewer called eDrawings so you can verify model configurations.

moldmker
    I own solidworks 2008 my work keeps me on it. I have saved it as an ides file and bobcad opened it up fine it looked fine I did some tool paths but 90% of the time bobcad will shut down or freeze with no responce when I try to make a tool path?

Can you post a sample .igs file for us to look at?
    Make sure it's one that gives your system trouble, then we can isolate whether it's the file or your system.

I use SW 2007 into v22 with minimal problems.

moldmker

OIC,
    Thanks for taking the time to edu me!

Burr

Would like to see if the file crashes my computer.

Question

OIC,
    Thanks for taking the time to edu me!

Burr

Would like to see if the file crashes my computer.
    The file is to big to upload. 1.45 MB (1,530,940 bytes) The computer is not crashing the software is I am on a computer that can handle it with not even a thought.

The file is to big to upload. 1.45 MB (1,530,940 bytes) The computer is not crashing the software is I am on a computer that can handle it with not even a thought.
    Try zip the file. Right click it and choose "send to" compressed zip archive. See if it fits then.

Thats what I meant, to see if it crashes my BobCad, not that I may have a better computer than you. That can start to narrow it down.

Burr

Question

Try zip the file. Right click it and choose "send to" compressed zip archive. See if it fits then.

Thats what I meant, to see if it crashes my BobCad, not that I may have a better computer than you. That can start to narrow it down.

Burr
    Ok here try this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

well I was able to do a 3D path...did you look at your task manger and it said....Bobcad not responding...it will always say that...if you look at the process page you can see the CPU is working...unles you get a message that says Bobcad has encounter a promblem and needs to close...then wait untill the CPU is done doing it's thing...sometime it takes a few minutes...I think it took like 5 to process this jpeg on my system...I did stitch model together to genorate code...I should add the fact that I did this in V23 not V22
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test.JPG  

Here's a simple v22 path. Seems OK.
    There are 2 untrimmed fillets at one end of the part.
    Sometimes, other file formats work better.

moldmker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	75392

Ok here try this one.
    Darn that Mike is quick! Although I just selected make one solid on import and didnt have to stitch it!

It opened for mre also Coolster (V22), so I would start to look at your system first.

Mostley, make syure you have the latest drivers for your vid card. Do you have an NVidia perhaps? 7800 or something like that?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	igs-card.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	75393

Darn that Mike is quick!
    I'm not called Two Pump Mike for no reason...

.IGS files always has something missing I always try and use .STP files.

John

Question

Quote Originally Posted by COMMAND JOHN View Post
    .IGS files always has something missing I always try and use .STP files.

John
    I will try again tomorrow. But yeah it was the Bobcad has encounter a promblem and needs to close thing. I will try updates on everything.

Just tried to update video card it is up to date. so it is not that.

Page 1 of 2 12