587,495 active members*
3,683 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New to CNC... but decided to build anyways

New to CNC... but decided to build anyways

Had a client that wanted me to build something that I have never done before..... A CNC Multi use machine. This machine will have the ability to have 3 different Gantry designs. One for Pick and Place on pcbs, one for milling , and one for printing 3d. This is a large machine with a 10'6'' X 5'8'. Ahren from CNC router parts has been awesome and I would highly recommend him to anyone.
    I am looking for any input as to what I might have done wrong or right as this is my first build...... Really jumped in with both feet. Here is what I have done so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1.jpg   photo 2.jpg   photo 3.jpg   photo 5.jpg  

photo 4.jpg   photo 1 (2).jpg  

more pics

More pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 1 (3).jpg   photo 4 (3).jpg   photo 2 (2).jpg  

more

more
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo.jpg   photo 2 (3).jpg  

no messing about there - that's a monster

will you have all three gantries installed at the same time - and just rack the unwanted ones out of the way?

we will just unrack and load the next gantry..We hope.....lol

I think this might be the biggest 100% extrusion router ever shown on this site. I'm jealous. 3030 for the frame and 3060 for the rails. That's a serious machine.

The only thing I can think I would have done differently is dropped the table and bolted the machine together using regular bolts vs the special 8020 hardware.

New to CNC eh......

This looks great! How well does it hold level? One of the issues I had setting mine up was all those movable parts and getting everything to stay in alighnment.

Don't say that!!!!!!lol I think it should be fine....lots of threadlock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ballscrew.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    I think this might be the biggest 100% extrusion router ever shown on this site. I'm jealous. 3030 for the frame and 3060 for the rails. That's a serious machine.

The only thing I can think I would have done differently is dropped the table and bolted the machine together using regular bolts vs the special 8020 hardware.
    Have you had problems with the fasteners from 80/20? I have used this material on other projects and never had problems but I would love to hear your exp. as I have never dealt with the vibrations from a machine like this before.

OK I am impressed! First build huh? Did you make the design decisions or did your client provide drawings/specifications?

I have NO experience in a build like this, but the one thing that jumps out at me with a machine this large built from Aluminum extrusions is the potential for "ringing". I assume the ""blue side panels" are a plastic/acrylic and provide some structural stability against racking as well as cosmetics? You MIGHT consider adding some MDF panels to the insides of the legs/frames for a combination of noise damping and a bit of (probably unneeded) structural support. Others with build experience with extrusions//large machines may better be able to give you suggestions on the credibility of this suggestion.

Very Nice build! I want one!

Fish

no its my design/fault what ever you want to call it. The client is supporting the $$. however it will stay in my shop for prototyping projects for them.... I f it works well they are going to place a large order for production machines. the panels are acrylic and secured with trim gasket which seems to be very solid. I also made 1/4 rubber feet to go under the leveling legs. I have already had a few revisions to the design as some things just didnt feel right to me. The table is very solid to say the least. the gantry is LARGE it stands 6 feet over the table and is made out of 3/8 flat plat that has been folded into a channel so the final size for the gantry legs are 18x8x72. I will post pictures of them once I get them welded together. I just ordered what I hope is the final shipment of parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Don't say that!!!!!!lol I think it should be fine....lots of threadlock.
    After you have everything locked down the screws will not back out. The way way the parts are designed it locks nuts down and eliminates vibration issues and backing the screws out.

What I meant was all of the parts working together initially...getting all those moving parts to play well together.

I've been running mine for more than a year and none of the screws are lose at all.

lol... I see. Getting all the things to play nicely is my biggest fear.... Thats why I started my build log now so I can get help later. I agree I have never had the 80/20 fasteners back out on me but I didnt know what the harmonics would have an effect on. I think and hope I have over engineered the structure for any weakness but the electronics and software keep me up at night.

I've used different extrusion hardware but not the 8020 stuff. Never particularly cared for them. It's too easy for the clips not to grab properly and the amount of weight they hold is typically not that impressive. Not to mention the cost of them vs drilling some access holes and using common button head bolts is not even close. I always felt the "clips" were great for adjust-ability and temporary installs but not quite what I'd want to use for this application. If I were you, I'd install some angle brackets. It would take away any chance of mechanical failure.

I think I have to disagree according to the specs via t-slot mfgs to the sae reports with regards to using clamps ver. bolting. I have used this material in a few plants for different manufactures and have never had a problem with strength. Due to the design of the t-slot it should be less prone to vibrations.
    Quote Originally Posted by RossMosh View Post
    I've used different extrusion hardware but not the 8020 stuff. Never particularly cared for them. It's too easy for the clips not to grab properly and the amount of weight they hold is typically not that impressive. Not to mention the cost of them vs drilling some access holes and using common button head bolts is not even close. I always felt the "clips" were great for adjust-ability and temporary installs but not quite what I'd want to use for this application. If I were you, I'd install some angle brackets. It would take away any chance of mechanical failure.

Wow.. there's some serious money your client is investing there..

You should be fine with Ahrens stuff.. The great thing abot these tables, is that you can start using them.. and if there is a problem, you can use the table to build your parts for the fix..

Very nice, man!
    :cheers::cheers:

Wow.. there's some serious money your client is investing there..
    (Do they need any more neophytes?)

You should be fine with Ahrens stuff.. The great thing about these tables, is that you can start using them.. and if there is a problem or something that you don't like, you can use the table to build your parts for the fix/upgrade..

Very nice build!
    :cheers:

update on build

It has been a busy few weeks but wanted to up load new pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails buildfile.jpg  

mill head

Mill Shuttle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (3).jpg  

head installed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photomill.jpg