587,189 active members*
2,878 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

new to cnc machining center

I have a question about setting the center of a round piece of material to X0 y0.

What is the easiest way to find the center ? Do I have to do it on the x & y axis or is there another way. I can find it using the x & y axises but it takes forever to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceinOZ View Post
    I have a question about setting the center of a round piece of material to X0 y0.

What is the easiest way to find the center ? Do I have to do it on the x & y axis or is there another way. I can find it using the x & y axises but it takes forever to do it.
    How are you holding the Material, in a Vise, Chuck, Clamped to the Table or in a Fixture???
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

No real easy way but you can use an edge finder and touch off the left side and zero X axis, then jog over to the right side and edge find off that side, look at your position and divide the X value by two and jog to that value in X, then zero X and you're very close to center.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceinOZ View Post

The easiest way to find the center of a round piece or a hole is a Coaxial Indicator. This mounts in the spindle and has a dial gauge held stationary by an arm that rests against something fixed to the spindle (I pull down the coolant nozzle) and a probe that rotates with the spindle and goes around the part. When the spindle axis and the centerline of the round part are inline the dial gauge does not deflect.

Google 'coaxial indicator' or Blake Indicator' or combine them both. Blake manufacturing is a US company that makes a very good coaxial indicator; cheap import are available but not worth buying in my opinion.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    'coaxial indicator' or Blake Indicator'
    I believe that someone here on CNC Zone tested one at 3000 RPM LOL. I failed the test but a lesson was learned.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

I use an Interapid dial indicator, very well made.

Years ago, I was zeroing a very small bore on a Giddings & Lewis Machining center. This was an NC machine, not CNC.

As I pressed the buttons to zero the X & Y axes, the spindle suddenly dove straight down, forcing the larger indicator into the smaller bore. What a mangled mess...

G&L's were very unpredictable machines.

Well, we all learn what to do and what not to do. That's just the way it is.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com