587,694 active members*
3,486 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > New Design -80/20 - Opinions Welcome

Threaded View

New Design -80/20 - Opinions Welcome

This is my first attempt at a cnc router. I'm going with 2" x 2" extrusion base frame and a 2" x 4" y-z axis upright. The work envelope is 30" x 30" x 5".

The linear rail systems are igus ws-10 series. They are a twin rail system. The blocks for the x axis are 8" long and 4" long for the y axis.

Both x and y axes are belt driven using gates polychain gt belts with 8mm pitch. I'm still mulling over the idea of changing to a smaller pitch belt system. The x axis has 3:1 ratio for increased torque. The y axis has a 2:1 ratio for increased torque. The z axis is a direct driven lead screw unit. It is an igus series slw slide table.

All bearings are igus igubal press in type or pillow block. Both x and y axis motors are mounted using the igus bearings so there is no load on the motor shaft when the belts are tensioned. The motors are connected to the drive sprocket shaft with a R & W flexible couplings. The motors are 280 inoz steppers.

I'm just posting to get some feedback / opinions on my design. I'm making the router for a personal toy but if feedback is good and there is interest I would be willing to sell the plans or sell the whole machine as a kit.
    Attached Files Attached Files