588,653 active members*
6,300 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 28 of 29 1826272829
    Disaster averted!

Those slots were really easy to open up with a file. I think it was just painted over sand from the casting.

Here are some pics....as well as one showing the rust (maybe normal?)

I used a chain hoist to hoist it up with a lifting strap out of the crate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CIMG3378.jpg   CIMG3379.jpg   CIMG3380.jpg   CIMG3381.jpg  

CIMG3382.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron
    ARGHHHH!

Ok this is really annoying. The mounting holes on the stand don't line up with the holes on the mill base. It wouldn't be so bad if the slots cut into the sides of the mill base actually fit the mounting bolts. As it is now the bolt holes on the stand are too far apart (on x axis). So now I have to grind these slots so they fit the bolts...super annoying. Anyone else have this issue? Also I noticed that the big hole where the y screw is has rust all over the sides with no anti rust proofing goo there to prevent it. Is that normal?
    That doesn't sound right. Take some pictures and post them.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

Eh, looks like grease from here.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Question

Xnaron,

What is the model number of the mobile base your G0704 is riding on?
    Thanks in advance.

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by jalessi View Post
    Xnaron,

What is the model number of the mobile base your G0704 is riding on?
    Thanks in advance.

Jeff...
    This one G8683Z Mini Mobile Base

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Eh, looks like grease from here.
    Hoss
    yours is the same http://g0704.com/images/100_0982_800x600.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Xnaron View Post
    Yeah, it was a coppery looking thick sludge kind of stuff like cosmoline gone bad.
    Was worse at the rear of the saddle but it scrubbed off with some elbow grease.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Disaster averted!...Here are some pics....as well as one showing the rust (maybe normal?)
    I notice that you have a Grizzly mobile stand in one of your pictures. How is this working out for you? How stable is the mill/stand combo on the mobile stand?

I'm assuming that you've bolted the mill to the mill stand, and the mill stand to the mobile stand.

Titaniumboy

I cleaned off as much of the goo from the ways as I can without taking it apart. I used wd40. What do you guys recommend for lube on the ways? Should I be taking it apart to clean it more?

I've used a number of different oils on ways before. From hydraulic oil, to motor oil, to actual way oil.

The right thing to use is way oil, but it's not entirely necessary. A good 20-30wt motor oil works well too. Just stay away from things like WD40, not that it doesn't lubricate well, but it just doesn't last long.

Way oil

I cleaned off as much of the goo from the ways as I can without taking it apart. I used wd40. What do you guys recommend for lube on the ways? Should I be taking it apart to clean it more?
    I have been using chainsaw Bar & chain lube From wally world stays put and swarf doesn't stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    I notice that you have a Grizzly mobile stand in one of your pictures. How is this working out for you? How stable is the mill/stand combo on the mobile stand?

I'm assuming that you've bolted the mill to the mill stand, and the mill stand to the mobile stand.

Titaniumboy

Seems sturdy but I won't know until I actually get to use my mill

4 Bolts and Two pins later.

machinechick, thanks for posting your 3-bolt mod a while back, it really came in handy. I had a space between the top of my head and saddle that you could drive a truck through. I actually had to go a step further since the two extra bolts were not enough to fully draw the head back flush to the saddle, regardless of how tight I made them...so I added a fourth. The new top bolt was actually able to draw the two surfaces together all by itself, so the mechanical advantage of its position must be significant over the two lower ones. I ended up leaving the bottom bolt out since it was working against me...and I didn't have a fourth bolt to stick in there anyway

BTW, I also had some fun trying to remove my head for the first time. Took me a while to check for a SECOND set screw in the same hole. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by machinechick View Post
    Putting the two bolts on top gave me more leverage above the pivot boss which allows me to tram y much easier, the self leveling washers help to evenly distribute the pressure and press the head casting flat against the z-axis saddle. (at least thats how I'm thinking about it). In retrospec I also think this mod makes the head/saddle attachment more rigid, I also think getting some quality teco or gibraltar bolts wouldn't hurt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-bolt.jpg   two-pins.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by madbee View Post
    machinechick, thanks for posting your 3-bolt mod a while back, it really came in handy. I had a space between the top of my head and saddle that you could drive a truck through. I actually had to go a step further since the two extra bolts were not enough to fully draw the head back flush to the saddle, regardless of how tight I made them...so I added a fourth. The new top bolt was actually able to draw the two surfaces together all by itself, so the mechanical advantage of its position must be significant over the two lower ones. I ended up leaving the bottom bolt out since it was working against me...and I didn't have a fourth bolt to stick in there anyway

BTW, I also had some fun trying to remove my head for the first time. Took me a while to check for a SECOND set screw in the same hole. lol.
    that makes it sound like either the head or saddle wasnt flat. forcing them together may not be a good thing. did you try checking the back of the head for flatness?

Yes, I would think so. It was easier to draw it together with the bottom bolt removed, possibly indicating a small bend/crush. I believe the weight of the head caused it to deform during shipping. BTW, once I added the top bolt position, I did not have to tighten it much at all to bring it together completely, so not really forcing anything, but ideally I should check for flatness, but have not yet. I am working on trying to tram this thing now.

Just a shout out to those of you have just received your g0704 in the last couple of months. Does your drawbar spin freely with the retainer cup tightened down? Mine does not and the replacements I got fro grizzly don't either.

Just a shout out to those of you have just received your g0704 in the last couple of months. Does your drawbar spin freely with the retainer cup tightened down? Mine does not and the replacements I got fro grizzly don't either.
    I think Whomever machined the retainer cups at the factory really really screwed up with this last batch. Mine is totally whacked, so are a bunch of others.

its weird that the replacements are bad as well...unless they just pulled it off of a new machine.

why are you worrying so much about a part that most people seem to remove anyway according to past posts?
    am

Quote Originally Posted by amyers View Post
    why are you worrying so much about a part that most people seem to remove anyway according to past posts?
    am
    I suppose I am more worried that something else is out of spec or assembled incorrectly with my mill as two them do not fit.

Page 28 of 29 1826272829