587,714 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New guy with a Bridgeport series 2 retro.

Hello,
    Just found the Forum and wanted to say Hi. I am an absolute novice when it comes to CNC, never tried it, have lots to learn. My Dad and I, and a friend of ours, just picked up 2 good condition bridgeport series 2 mills. We're hoping to retrofit and upgrade them, and hopefully learn how to use them along the way. We're pretty excited about the project, but entering unknown territory here, so I'll probably be hitting you guys up for help from time to time. We are just starting to research the project and don't have a battleplan yet, but I wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully will be able to keep a good log of how the retrofits go.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Are they CNC already or are you doing a conversion? I bought my Series I Boss 5 CNC with the same intention, replace the controls with something more modern. It's been over a year and I still haven't converted it, the Boss machines are rather capable if you take the time to learn the code. I have a manual BP with ballscrews that I thought about converting but elected to buy a purpose built CNC instead, that way my control conversion will be limited to and electrical job and not require mounting and sourcing motors and the like. The CNC is the only machine in my home shop that has totally paid for itself, it's a good day when your hobby also helps puty food on the table.

It is CNC, but ancient. going to need some work, but all ready found some helpful stuff on here. Thanks guys.