587,999 active members*
2,248 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: New machine day

Looks like a lot of folks are having a Tormach Christmas! That's awesome! I still remember the odd nervous feeling that I had when that big crate showed up the first time. The funny thing is that I was even more pumped up when the second mill arrived a couple of years later because I wanted to get it set up in record time. Just remember that the keys to the cabinet and master switch are in the little wood tool box on the pallet :-). Have fun and try not to overthink what you are trying to do.

OK guys its on the stand, and half ass level, need a 98 from work, enclosure maybe tomorrow, can't decide, as I don't have power to it and don't want to run into any problems and have to take the enclosure back off to fix anything. Please send any words of wisdom on this enclosure before power, Thanks.
    As for me the a cnc lathe is next, just installed a Haas TL1 at work, fine little machine.
    Insert picture???
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1934.jpg  

I would make sure everything works before putting the enclosure up. If you're small and nimble climbing inside and siting on the table might be ok to wire the coolant pump, 4t axis, ATC, and auto draw bar if you got those goodies.
    We had two Haas TL1s and two minimills in my class last year they were nice.
    Is your shop a shipping container?
    Mine is a 12'/12' enclosed corner of an unheated garage, insulated with a 500 watt halogen light for warmth.
    Good for you lens42!

check your pads lens42, mine had paint blobs on one, I stoned everything - machine and stand - before install.
    Congrats on you new toy.
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1931.jpg  

Sound advice - not small or nimble so I may wait, not in a hurry to make anything yet but that may change.
    shipping container no, just a 10 x 20 with a 8' door and extra height, no insulation heat or air, just gona ruff it for a while.
    As for Haas, wish I could afford to buy American but I am poor as dirt.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by cmparts View Post
    Well Grainger is out, can't afford that. Strange - same code UNSPSC # 31162701 but M12 threads.

http://www.grainger.com/product/GRAINGER-APPROVED-Leveling-Caster-24WK17?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/24WK17_AS01?$smthumb$
    Cheers
    Michael
    Amazon has pretty good prices, but someone on Ebay was selling a set of 4 for $200+/-, though they might have been used. Be aware that there are various models of the Footnmaster casters that are made of different materials. I just looked for the most inexpensive model and bought four of those. Be aware that the manufacturer recommends sizing the casters so that two of them are rated for the full weight of whatever they are mounted on - for the PCNC 1100 that would be the GD80 series.

Hey Michael,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope this works, found these.
    FOOTMASTER GD-80S-BLK-1/2 Nylon Wheel and NBR Pad Leveling Caster, 1100 lbs, Stem Mounted with 0.5" Mounting Hole Diameter, Black Finish: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    I guess this is a prime thing?
    I think I'll pause on the enclosure until I do some testing.
    Cheers

The Footmasters are definitely nice. I bought a set of the GD80 on Amazon for my 1100 and so far they work great. I used the caster feature a couple times already to move the mill away from the wall. The only issue with doing so is the need to re-level everything once its back in position. One thing I noticed is they are not quite as rigid laterally compared to a more solid type mount. The enclosure shakes a bit when the machine makes abrupt moves.

Quote Originally Posted by cmparts View Post
    Hey Michael,
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hope this works, found these.
    FOOTMASTER GD-80S-BLK-1/2 Nylon Wheel and NBR Pad Leveling Caster, 1100 lbs, Stem Mounted with 0.5" Mounting Hole Diameter, Black Finish: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
    I guess this is a prime thing?
    I think I'll pause on the enclosure until I do some testing.
    Cheers
    Those look like the right size at a good price. I used 1/2-12 set screws about 2-in long to mount the casters to the cabinet.

Oversized drill hole drill was dull ?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 123