588,556 active members*
4,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead dan View Post
    Hey Bowman,
    Sorry to take so long to reply, but since I replied last I haven't received the manual yet. I actually emailed John and spoke to him over the phone and he'll be sending one out soon. The VFD drive is either a "Nowforever" or a "Goldstar." My system is a Nowforever. I've learned that those systems with CNC setup have received the stepper motor controller specific for the CNC (of course). This however means you don't have drive feeds unless you run in CNC. I believe there is an alternative control system for stepper motor drive feeds if you don't order the CNC.
    The CNC / stepper drive systems are coming from Camtronics. Dan, the owner/developer, is super helpful and can answer alot of questions.

Dan
    yea i spoke to one of johns service guys yesterday,very nice guy too. but informed me mine was just put together wed, i have a complete cnc,dro,ball screw machine on order.and the ball screws were wrong when he went to put it together.so i hope to be recieving mine soon also.

Quote Originally Posted by bowman1964 View Post
    yea i spoke to one of johns service guys yesterday,very nice guy too. but informed me mine was just put together wed, i have a complete cnc,dro,ball screw machine on order.and the ball screws were wrong when he went to put it together.so i hope to be recieving mine soon also.
    I am looking to get a new VFD too- I would appreciate any info you can post about the motor power at low speeds when you get your machine.

Quote Originally Posted by smallblock View Post
    I am looking to get a new VFD too- I would appreciate any info you can post about the motor power at low speeds when you get your machine.
    will do, i had that concern and asked john directly about it. and from his reply to me we should not have any low speed power issues.

but i will be glad to report on the real world testing i plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by GITERDUN View Post
    I called Shoptask about the system and the controller is a solid state unit that converts single phase to 3 phase. They say that this system is better than DC drive because the motors run at full voltage all the time and the speed is varied by changing the frequency. The controller works with either 110 or 220 volt single phase input.
    Update-
    Sorry, the VFD is 220 volt single phase input only. I'm planning to go to Vegas to check out the new VFD machines- my gear driven patriot is only a year old, but the VFD sounds like a neat set up.

I all.

Has any of you, owners of the latest Patriot VFD, managed to cut threads on their machine manually, i.e. without any CNC setup?
    EasyPrototype

Quote Originally Posted by easyprototype View Post
    I all.

Has any of you, owners of the latest Patriot VFD, managed to cut threads on their machine manually, i.e. without any CNC setup?
    The new machines do not have any threading gearboxes. The only way to thread is under CNC control.

Necroing another thread

Hi,
    THis is an older thread, but I'm researching my decision to purchase the new VFD Patriot.

Gearhead,
    How are things going with your new/old toy? I'd love to see some pics of what you're doing lately with it.

—Chaz

Page 2 of 2 12