588,126 active members*
5,366 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New (used) Tormach owner with questions

New (used) Tormach owner with questions

I have been wanting a tormach for years. I have cussed my x3 way to many times. Well I sold the x3 and found a great deal on S3 Tormach this weekend. I have it home now and testing it all.

Why does a m03 command start the spindle CW but the CCW light on the controller light up? And in reverse if I start the spindle in CW from controller the a tusk spindle turns CCW?

When I run gcode how do I make it go to a tool change position? I've read on the manual but something is not working... Probably me.....
    Donald

Congratulations!

For the tool change position, use M998. But this only works if you have first referenced the machine by clicking "ref all", this tells is where the limits are. You need to ref the machine each time you start it up. You can set how high up the tool change position is in one of the advanced screens, can't remember which right now.

Are you running the Flash screens? If so the spindle direction thing is a known bug (and you should probably move off them as they aren't being supported anymore)

I got the TC position working finally. I believe i running release 1.1 of the software and I found last night 1.2 so I am going to see if I can find install directions tonight and give it a try. I ran out of time last night. Time sure flies when I am working with this thing. :-)

What kind of backlash is everyone seeing on there tormachs?
    Donald

Well I got the update installed, man I liked the otehr screens better. Anyone use MachStdMill or 2010 screensets on there tormach?

I also am looking for one the keyboard arms if anyone has one to sell.
    I may be getting rid of a High Speed Spindle kit and SprutCam if anyone is interested or trade for a arm.
    Donald

Well I just finished my first. Wow it held print to within .002" so I am very impressed.

I am getting a error in mach about the script spindle speed when it tries to change speeds. I had to do it manually. Anyone had this issue?
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    Well I just finished my first. Wow it held print to within .002" so I am very impressed.

I am getting a error in mach about the script spindle speed when it tries to change speeds. I had to do it manually. Anyone had this issue?
    That is a bug that has been in Mach3 for as long as I can remember. Open the script spindlespeed.m1s (or something very much like that....) with Notepad. You'll probably see a couple of graphics characters in the file. Delete those, then save the file and close. Re-start Mach3, and you should be OK. Well, until Mach3 corrupts it again....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Great, thanks I will try that tomorrow.

Next Problem - Passive Probe. I plugged it in after I brought up PCNConfig and set it to be Passive and let it reboot. When I try a probing routine in mach it goes clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk,clunk fairly fast. I looked and it is making very sharp small movements, I would had thought it would have been slow smooth movements. Also the prob can hit my finger (testing) bit never stops or does anything.
    Donald

On the x/y or z screen you should see a block saying test probe before use. Make sure this block turns green when you trigger the probe and goes blank after release. If it's always green the contacts may need to be cleaned. Usually I can wiggle the probe around several times and it will clear up. If it shows a trigger than it will try to move until it shows release, bad things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by dneisler View Post
    I may be getting rid of a High Speed Spindle kit and SprutCam if anyone is interested or trade for a arm.
    I don't have an arm to trade, but may be interested in the high speed spindle kit. Which one is it?

I believe it is sold. I am still looking for a arm if anyone has one.
    Donald

Well I got the spindle speed change issue fixed now, if I can just figure out why my passive probe is not working.
    Donald

Well I had to take the probe apart and clean the contacts. Now I need to set its centricity again.

Has anyone setup a touch plate for setting TLO?
    Donald