587,187 active members*
5,304 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > New user...need help please

New user...need help please

Hi...I'm starting from ground zero with CAD/CAM and CNC. I managed to work my way thru creating a simple part and generating the tool paths. My problem is that I cant get the verification to work...after I set my stock size on the Op Manager I select the Toolpath Verification button and nothing happens. The screen kinda flashes and buttons appear on the toolbar, I select the play button and thats it...nothing happens. No errors, just nothing happens past that...I can press the Tool Verification again to stop the process. Anybody got any ideas???

I attached my file if anyone wants to try it on thier machine.

Jason
    Attached Files Attached Files

I've never liked the verification program, (not enough control, speed issues, etc.) but your file worked on my machine ok. Is your video card compatible with Surfcam? Surfcam's is compatible with most cards that support Direct X 9 so I don't think that's your problem but it's something to check. Can you rotate a shaded model smoothly, with no jerky motion?

Worked fine on my end too. I would check to make sure that you have the latest driver for you video card. If you register on Surfcam's website you will be able to see a list of video cards that work and dont work with Surfcam. Moldcore is right though, Verify was always just a cartoon representation of what Surfcam thinks will happen at the machine. You are always better off doing a backplot through EditNC. That backplot is the actual G-code that will run at the machine. That being said, Verify is always a good place to start.

thanks for the suggestions...it must be my video card. I installed on another computer and it worked fine.

Could it be your stock size ?

I have just been experimenting with this issue and I could not get the tool to cut anything - reason was that my stock size was smaller that the G code expected. The generated z co-ordinate for the tool path was cutting fresh air - after adjusting the stock size it worked fine.

I will try your part - I am not an expert. I had to make sure that my drawing was in the X Y plane so that the tool was orientated to cut - I imported my part from Solidworks.

Regards

Karlis

Melbourne Australia

I have always found surfcam's verify to be quite good. Slow at times, but always represented the toolpaths and part well. never had anything happen at the machine that didn't happen in the sim.