587,172 active members*
3,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie looking for guidance

Hello all, I am a recent graduate from Virginia Tech with a master’s in mechanical engineering. Due to my tremendous inability to kick the lab sickness I am now attempting to build my own lab/shop at home. Where I was once spoiled with any imaginable tool and toy money can buy I am now on a shoestring budget. I have already purchased both a Mig and Tig welder as well as a 40amp plasma cutter. The next step is to begin building or sourcing a cheap but worthwhile cnc plasma machine that my Chinese plasma cutter can serve dual purpose to. I am mainly going to deal with both steel and aluminum up to ¼” max. I have built many many things in the past but it was not until someone turned me onto this community that I realized there existed such a thing as a DIY cnc machine that anyone could build with a little know how.

I have done extensive electrical and mechanical work in the past and although I am familiar with most of the jargon on here I am a bit lost. I typical read and educate myself for months even years before I attempt any project like this. I am looking for some starting points or resources where I can brief myself on the basic components and workings of a homebuilt cnc machine. I am having trouble finding any complete DIY plans as well. Like I said, I am on a shoestring budget and have at the most $2000 to have a fully working machine. Ideally I would like to swap between a router and plasma torch. I do not need any incredible tolerances just a machine capable of cutting out simple geometric shapes with some sort of consistency. Can anyone who has built their own machine give me some pointers on where they started and how? Can anyone suggest a pre-built kit that would fit my budget and goals? I prefer to build things on my own but if there are any kits out there that serve my budget that would be great as well. Any type of documentation/links to plans and descriptions for a newbie would be great. Thanks to this community in advance for all or any help that is given. I hope to become an active member once my project takes way.

Welcome to the Zone, fellow Virginian! You have come to the right place.

Dig around on this site. You can find many, many sets of plans for basic machines and enough information to completely confuse you first, then to clear things up!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.