587,302 active members*
3,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Newbie Needs Advice About Buying a Sicono SIC-330 Desktop CNC

Newbie Needs Advice About Buying a Sicono SIC-330 Desktop CNC

Hi, gang,

I am just starting to play with CNC goodies, and I have been searching for an affordable beginner machine with which to learn (and use). I'm computer and electronics literate, and I understand CNC from a broad perspective, but I've never actually used a CNC machine (yet). I have considered building one from scratch, buying a kit, or buying a Taig / HF / etc mini mill and converting it to CNC after I've messed around with it manually.

In a few days I will have an opportunity to buy a Sicono SIC-330 desktop router/engraver/??? for about $500. It is reportedly in good condition mechanically and electronically, although the unit's manual control keypad is toast (unobtanium firmware flash required), leaving only CNC control.

It has an 800-W spindle and a noise-reduction enclosure.

The kid (25) selling it is a mechanical engineer with a brand new infant -- and doesn't seem like a CL psycho.

My budget is minimal right now, and every mill I want costs about $10,000 too much. This one is made in China, sells for $3000 to $4000 new and claims to incorporate German-made ball screws. But other than a few YouTube videos, there are no USA parts sources, resources, direct reviews, etc. The seller, who has worked as an engineer and a CNC operator, says the little mill works well with aluminum and brass, is "tight," etc, but is too small for his personal needs and isn't getting used anymore.

I need advice on whether this might be a good deal on a "learning" machine that might also produce usable stuff.

Thanks in advance,

--sohosources

Re: Newbie Needs Advice About Buying a Sicono SIC-330 Desktop CNC

Never heard of that machine, but for $500, it's probably a good deal, especially as an educational tool. The machine looks ok, reasonable specs for what it is. For metal, it will be of limited value, due to the 6000RPM minimum spindle speed - it is really a wood router, not a milling machine. Also, it has leadscrews, NOT ballscrews, but for a router, that is fine. You might want to just ditch the factory control and use a PC running Mach3 instead. The conversion should be easy, since it's using Leadshine drives. Keep in mind too that it appears it may have a water-cooled spindle, so you might need a source of clean water nearby. Perhaps the 800W version has an air-cooled spindle.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thank you, Ray,

I had planned to use Mach3 with this router, and the seller also said that it should be relatively easy to set up.

How does the 6k spindle speed affect its ability to work with aluminum and brass? There are YouTube vids of this router working with aluminum, and it seems to do okay, although I can't tell if the resulting cuts are super smooth, etc.

--sohosources

re:

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    Never heard of that machine, but for $500, it's probably a good deal, especially as an educational tool. The machine looks ok, reasonable specs for what it is. For metal, it will be of limited value, due to the 6000RPM minimum spindle speed - it is really a wood router, not a milling machine. Also, it has leadscrews, NOT ballscrews, but for a router, that is fine. You might want to just ditch the factory control and use a PC running Mach3 instead. The conversion should be easy, since it's using Leadshine drives. Keep in mind too that it appears it may have a water-cooled spindle, so you might need a source of clean water nearby. Perhaps the 800W version has an air-cooled spindle.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Being limited to 6K RPM min will mean working only with very small tools. Being a router means working without coolant. Both of these mean taking very light cuts, which means a very low MRR (Material Removal Rate). Bottom line, it will no doubt cut aluminum, but at a snails pace. It may well take hours to do what a real mill could do in minutes. And, as a result, you'll be limited to small parts, with limited depth.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I personally don't see any reason you couldn't use coolant with this machine. There are also a few things that need correction.

The specs I found indicate that the SIC-330 has rectangular linear rails and ball screws. The specs state cast iron frame construction too which would help with rigidity. It also states right in the specs that a coolant system can be added. I also found several videos of the machine cutting not only aluminum, but steel and some of those use flood coolant.

Although not the speediest with the high RPM spindle and small cutters, it seem quite capable for a $500 machine if that is what you can get it for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fc1qhxEhEc

https://youtu.be/zGc1EkruYds

https://youtu.be/8_cgMxUKaeI

https://youtu.be/cUU95B2TN5I

Well, I saw it today.

It's MASSIVE in real life compared to how petite it looks online. The gantry uprights are half-inch-plus steel or cast iron. The ball screws are gigantic and each has physical limit switches. The thing is built like a tank, and the router plus the noise reduction housing weigh in at 300 to 400 pounds! The spindle has a variable-frequency drive and its own controller box and digital remote.

The router originally had its own "motherboard" and semi-proprietary controller, but the seller has connected the stepper drives to an old PC running some LinuxCNC variant. The PC is slow or the breakout board is weird, as there's a bit of latency that still needs to be worked out so positioning doesn't deviate.

This would definitely be a "project" for me and, as a CNC newbie, would involve skill stretching. But mechanically, this thing is a huge step above the typical desktop router. And I guess that, when it comes to actual usability, as long as the mechanics and sound and beefy, I can always wrangle the drives and controllers.

The seller is thinking about my $500 offer and has agreed to not sell the router until we can work something out. He may want me to throw in some technical writing services to sweeten his end of the deal -- something I'm more than happy to do.

I think I will end up with this interesting and somewhat unusual router.

I had to laugh. Thinking it was about the size of an HP color laser printer or a big microwave oven, I didn't bring a trailer and actually thought I could fit it into the back seat of my Ford Focus!!!! If I do end up taking it home, the seller says it will require three brawny dudes to get it through the door of his shop, and that he will have to remove the door frames to do it!

He also built a beautiful roller cabinet that the router sits on, which comes with the device. Even though I don't need the old PC and the old 15-inch LCD monitor, I'd have to "take" that, too!

Thanks again for your help, Wish me luck.

--sohosources