587,224 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Rhinocam > Newbie to Rhino 5.0, RhinoArt, and Taig DSLS 3000

Newbie to Rhino 5.0, RhinoArt, and Taig DSLS 3000

Hello,

I have purchased RhinoArt and Rhino 5.0 as well as a Taig DSLS 3000. I'm way overdue to start using them. I'm working as a contractor for the US Marines overseas and for a starter project (first ever for a CNC mill and the software) I've decided to make a couple plack to give away to the Marines who are leaving as gifts. Bought off Ebay two 6 inch X 9 inch X 0.75 inch aluminum pieces. The ad for RhinoArt coincidentally has the US Marine Globe and Anchor so I emailed Mecsoft and got a file with it but it is just a stick outline. Got on the website and viewed the tutorial. I have the user's guide for Rhino 5.0 downloaded but it does not appear to cover RhinoArt as it is from Mecsoft. There does not appear to be a users guide in print that I can find on the internet and if all commands are buried under the help that is going to be a problem figuring it all out. I'd like to make some negative curves around the edges of the plack and then do positive puffing on the globe and anchor. It is relatively easy to get the globe and anchor to puff out but then getting the second, inside, continent to puff seems to be one of the problems.
    Since I've not even used the Taig I'm thinking to work this up and try to machine from wood a couple times with some scrap and then finally try it with the two pieces of aluminum. I'll need to add lettering for the people with dates as well.
    Anyone willing to help me figure all this out would be greatly appreciated as I'll need step by step assistance on the software and the mill. You may email me directly at [email protected] as well.

Advanced thanks and best regards,
    Mike

Re: Newbie to Rhino 5.0, RhinoArt, and Taig DSLS 3000

Hi Mike; Here's a user's guide and tutorial for RhinoART that you can download as a PDF: http://www.literka.com.pl/rhino-plik...s/RhinoART.pdf There shouldn't be a problem in getting interior curves to "puff", as long as they are closed. An invisible gap in the curve is probably the reason you're having a problem. You can select the curve in question and then issue the Rhino command CloseCrv to close it and try again. Of course, you'll need to puff it higher than any surrounding puffed volume for it to be seen. Try it and let me know if that worked.

I'm happy to help with the rest of your issues as well, but let's take them a step at a time, okay?
    Andrew Werby
    Website