587,306 active members*
3,760 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > News - Cut3D - Low Cost 3D Model Machining

News - Cut3D - Low Cost 3D Model Machining

Hello Everyone,

We are very pleased to announce the release of our latest product Cut3D - Powerful, Quick and Easy 3D Model Machining.

Cut3D is the simplest way to machine 3D models from CAD or Graphics design products such as AutoCAD, Rhino3D, 3D Studio, Silo, Lightwave etc.

Scanned data from laser or touch probe devices such as the MaxNC and ShopBot Digital Probes as well as the vast number of 3D models available off the Internet can also be machined quickly and easily.

Cut3D is incredibly easy to use and includes z level roughing, finishing and cut out toolpath strategies, interactive tab placement plus high quality preview rendering that make the software perfect for cutting 3D models.

Multi-sided Machining - Single, Double and Four Sided machining

You can test Cut3D for yourself by downloading the Fully Functional Trial version and cutting the free 3D evaluation models on your own machine. This version will also open your own 3D models, calculate toolpaths create stunning 3D preview images but does not save toolpaths for these models.

High quality Toolpath simulation

Models can be sliced into machinable pieces

Large / thick models that do not fit under the gantry on your machine or you don't have thick enough material can very easily be 'sliced' into thinner sections. For example, a 24" high model can be sliced into 12 x 2" thick pieces that can then be machined and assembled.

Interactive Tab placement to hold the job in place

Let us know if you have any qestions about the new software.

Tony Mac
    Vectric

How was the car cut with only two sided machining, i see undercuts at the top of the doors that i dont see how the could have been machined.

Hi Ozturbo,

The model was definitely machined using the the 2 sided sided cutting strategy and there certainly aren't any undercuts left on the model.

One of the neat features in Cut3D is the option to 'overcut past the cut plane' so although you might have placed the cut plane in the middle of the car, using an overcut forces the cutter to machine further into the model = underneath the mirrors.

Looking at the preview for the Top Toolpath shows the material left under the mirrors. The second preview shows cutting from underneath the model, past the cut plane to remove the material from under the mirrors and door handles.

If you look at the rear spoiler on the F1 model you can see that it's sold because the cutter cannot get underneath this area.

You can test this for your self using the Trial version that will simulate the toolpaths and give the previews shown in the images attached.

See the attached images.

I hope this helps,

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P_1.jpg   P_2.jpg   P_3.jpg   F1_Top.jpg  

Cut3D - 3D Sample File

Cut3D user Scott carved this 3D bowl into a material called HI-MAC (similar to corian) that he had left over from making kitchen countertops.

This is one of the evaluation files supplied with Cut3D that the toolpaths can be saved for. Scott rough machined this piece using a 1/4" End Mill and finished it using a 1/4" Ball Nose cutter.

Tony

Tony, will Cut3D allow me to "reverse" mill, so I can create injection mold cavities as well?

---Will

Hi,

If the 3D model is for a cavity then the software will cut the recessed mold but there isn't an option to automatically convert a raised model to a cavity.

If the model is simply the top face - no sides or closed back on the model - then you can orientate the model looking from the underside and machine the cavity. The easiest thing to do is try your models with the Free Trial version to see whether it does what you need. Or send your model to the Vectric Support e-mal address and we'll take a look.

I hope this helps,

Tony

Large Cut3D Project

Kayak designer and builder and Steve Ree (www.seawardkayaks.com) has just used Cut3D to machine a 19.5 foot long, 16 inch tall, 32 inch wide kayak plug (model for making the master mold) on his converted 20ft long with a 22inch Z plunge ShopBot router.

The Kayak was modelled in Rhino3D and he initially planned to use the 3D Slicing in Cut3D to make separate sections and assemble them to produce the master model. But he managed to machine the complete model in one go using the Z level roughing and raster finishing toolpath strategies.

The plug was machined from SM Foam using a 1/2 inch diameter by 6" long 4 flute bull nose bit running at 10000 rpm. It only took 21 hours to make verses about 200 hours by hand and it worked perfectly!

Steve commented "I can't stress enough how much time and money was saved opening up a 3D DXF file and letting Vectric's Cut3D calculate the roughing and finishing tool paths has saved us!"

"A huge applause and sincere thank-you go out to the team at Vectric for the ability to make this happen at an affordable price. Thank you."

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kayak_1.jpg   Kayak_2.jpg   Kayak_3.jpg  

Tony Mac: Do you have more pics of this machine maybe specifications.

Hello,

You can see more details about the machine at this link,

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/28/18796.html

Tony

Great link, thanks for posting Tony.

Jason

Machining Laser Scanned Data

ShopBot owner and Cut3D customer Brady Watson - braidmeister on the forum - has developed a high quality laser scanning setup that runs on his ShopBot router. He used Cut3D to machine this project for a customer.

The original hand carved panel was about 12" X 20" & Brady scaled it up to 48" X 80" in the software. The material is 2" thick Trupan Ultralight MDF and It took 3hrs to do the rough out passes and about 17hrs to do the finishing pass.

A 1/2" End mill was used for the roughing toolpath followed by a 3/8" Ball nose for the finishing pass and finally the 1/2" End mill was also used to cut the panel out of the material.

This is a huge project as you can see from the pictures below.

Another interesting use of the software.

Tony

Brady offers a subcontract laser scanning service so if you are looking to reverse engineer 3D products or components I'm sure he'll be interested in quoting you a price. See http://www.ibild.com/3d.htm

How much did cost to machine this project.

WOW!

That is great work!

Did he run the router for 17hrs (Finish pass) non-stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Switcher View Post
    WOW!

That is great work!

Did he run the router for 17hrs (Finish pass) non-stop?

Hey guys,
    No...I was going to run it all the way thru, but stopped it around 2AM. I don't like to take chances with something happening overnight...and am not keen to waking up to the sound of fire trucks.

I ran the spindle for about 13hrs straight before shutting it down. I just replaced bearings in it and I figured this would be a good way to seat them in nicely.

Thanks for the compliments!

-Brady

Hi Brady,

I was wondering, will you divulge what scanner you are using? The work looks great and I would like to try something like this out here on the West Coast, doing just local work and one offs like you are doing?

Also, I'm building my own cnc mill, what difference will that make when I consider that this was originally written for the Shopbot?

Fantastic work!

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by braidmeister View Post
    Hey guys,
    No...I was going to run it all the way thru, but stopped it around 2AM. I don't like to take chances with something happening overnight...and am not keen to waking up to the sound of fire trucks.

I ran the spindle for about 13hrs straight before shutting it down. I just replaced bearings in it and I figured this would be a good way to seat them in nicely.

Thanks for the compliments!

-Brady

Greg,
    Thanks for the compliments! It was a lot of fun to do something on this scale & it's even more fun when customers walk right by it on the way into the shop...only to be greeted by it on the way out saying, "How did I miss this on the way in??!!!"

I can't offer you any details on the scanner, but I do offer very reasonable pricing on scanning. Feel free to contact me off list.

Thanks!
    -B

Free 3D sample files machined using Cut3D

Ivo Durčák in the Czech Republic is a VCarve Pro customer and has recently been experimenting with the Trial version of Cut3D on his homemade, TurboCNC driven mini cnc mill running a dremel.

He's cut the Free Sample files shown below and produced excellent results. In fact I think this is the first time we have seen a finished Marlin sample machined 2 sided - I'm sure Dasch will approve as this is one of his models!

Thanks Ivo and keep up the great work!

Tony

A 'Large' Project Machined using the Slicing in Cut3D

Larry Ryan used this project to learn how to use Cut3D and I have to
    say it worked out pretty well

The drawing and 3D design work was done using Rhino and then machined
    CUT3D. The beer cap. measures were 60" diameter by 15" deep and was
    made from 6 slices / pieces of 2lb eps foam. The machined and assemble
    pieces were then spray coated in urethane.

Great project Larry!

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beer cap finished 6.jpg   bent beer cap 2.0.jpg   beer cap production 3.jpg   beer cap production 5.jpg  

beer cap production 7.jpg   beercap finished 1.jpg  

Very cool bottle cap.
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com